GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

I use a Dean Vendetta and an Ephiphone G400 through my 15watt Crate practice amp. I also have a DigiTech Weapon pedal that is placed before the wah pedal in my setup. When turned on, the pedal does give off some static fuzz, which can either be pleasing or annoying, depending on what you like. It handles heavy distortion well, although it sounds best with a hot-roddish bluesy Overdrive. I can't exactly get that Voodoo Child fatness out of it, although when I use my neck pickup I can get very close to a Burning of the Midnight Lamp tone. I don't have many other effect pedals, so I can't really say how it would handle them. I'd imaging that it would sound great with a nice fuzz distortion, though.

I play a lot of psychedelic rock and blues, and this pedal gives me some interesting sounds to add to my music. I haven't been playing all that long (about a year), so this is my first wah pedal. I knew exactly what I was paying for when I bought it, and wasn't let down at all. If it was stolen or I lost it, I would beg someone to buy me a new one, seeing as I'm broke. I fell in love with it as soon as I started playing around with it. It feels so natural, and sweet improvisations come easily with it. I chose this pedal over a Vox pedal simply because of Dunlop's reputation, and the price. Again, my only complaint is the fact that it makes your guitar sound a bit thin, but other than that it's a winner. I absolutely would recommend this to someone as their first wah pedal.

This thing is a brick. It's heavy, completely metal, and very solid. I definitely believe that it will last quite a while. The mechanisms inside look sturdy and supported, I'm not worried about breaking it at all. I would use it at a gig without a backup.

This is a very straight-forward wah pedal. Just plug it in and go. I had never used a wah wah before and was unsure of how difficult it would be to get a feel for it. Within a few minutes of hooking the CryBaby up, I was playing my favorite Hendrix licks. I was surprised at how natural and smooth the motion of the pedal was. Very fluid. There isn't really a manual for it, but there is a booklet with a few setup suggestions... and operation is easy enough to figure out on your own; I wouldn't have really cared if there was nothing at all in the box besides the pedal itself. Being the least expensive CryBaby that Dunlop makes, I feel that the sound lacks some depth. The actual "wah" effect sounds great, but some of the guitar's deeper tones get lost in the mix. I guess I would have liked for the pedal to have a wider tonal range, instead of such a narrow one that makes it sound a bit thin. Nonetheless, I still love the sound, but it's just not perfect.