GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Price paid: £ 59.95

Purchased from: thomann

I use mostly a telecaster with this pedal and I play through a Marshall AVT50X. On a clean channel the pedal oozez quality sounds for a variety of genres however, overdriven, and with the gain turned up high it tends to lag a bit and frankly sounds horrible but I believe that this could be partly due to my amp. A Hendrix sound is easily accomplished as is a Guns N' Roses tone but other tones are a bit tricky with the lack of performance on strong gain.

This pedal is perfect for light rock as it excells at low gain sounds but it handles most sounds okay, but just okay. Personally I think it is much better that say, the equivalent Vox wah and for value for money it beats most pedals. If it were stolen I would definately buy this pedal again.

The battery life of the 9V battery is quite substantial, but very heavy use will drain it quicker than you think. This thing is like a housebrick, solid and basic, in otherwords, foolproof. I've yet to even hear of one of these breaking. I would definately use it without a backup at a gig.

This pedal couldn't be any easier to use, it has no knobs or controls and even tells you which end to plug into the amp and which to plug into your guitar. If I had never played guitar before I would still be able to operate it. The manual is very clear but the pedal is so simple it isn't really needed.

skateandrock_13
    i love this pedal, and also btw you can get a hendrix sound with the crybaby and the fuzz face lol no duh.....for the price this is the best starting pedal....this is my first one. i used it when i played voodoo child live at my school talent show. it was rad.
    maoven
    had_hc wrote: hmm.. i hav dis pedal... but i wonder y mine doesnt sound like wut u guys pictured... the WAH seems like doesnt work on high notes... is my amp hav anything 2 do wit dis? or is it jz da pedal?
    You have to have a lot of treble on to get it scream om those high notes. Simply use the treble pickup/humbucker
    lorrythebassguy
    it will only drain batteries if you leave the cord plugged in i think, as with most effects. and just remove the battery after use and plug it in again next time u use it! Great pedal btw, im going to have to get myself one of these!