GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Used

At the moment, I'm using: Fender Jaguar > Boss Super Pitch Shifter > Dunlop Cry Baby > DigiTech Grunge > Boss Space Echo > DigiTech Digiverb > Fender JAM. The sound isn't that noisy, though there is a noticeable increase in noise once the Cry Baby is turnd on. There is also sometimes an audible 'pop' when it is switched on, which can be particularly annoying if you're running heaps of delay and reverb. The sound of the GCB-95 is simple: wah-wah-wah. It has very limited use outside of a rock 'n' roll or blues context, simply because it lacks the sweep to do anything less common. I was incapable of achieving the sweeping, soundscaping sound I was looking for (a sound which I could achieve with the cheap wah on a DigiTech multi-effects processor), as the jump from a bass sound to a treble sound is much too sudden. It does what it's made for, and nothing more.

I play spacey shoegazing/dream-pop music. The reason I bought a Wah-Wah Pedal is to produce long, ambient sweeps, which this pedal is incapable of. I'm very fond of transparent, high-treble tones and I've found myself using this pedal as an EQ almost every time I play, simply by keeping it in toe-down position. For that reason, it's very useful to me (I never turn it off when I'm playing) and will be a permanent addition to my rig; however, if it were to stop working or be lost, I would probably look into something with more of a sweep. Once again, this pedal gets the job done and works fine if you're playing rock, metal, or blues riffs, but to me, the wah-wah sound of the GCB-95 is useless.

The GCB-95 looks like a sturdy pedal that should last a while. I obtained mine used through a trade. It was dirty and dusty and had obviously seen a lot of action, but it works alright. One a ggravating feature of this model is that the battery door simply cannot hold. I've heard this about this model, and mine is no exception. An adaptor is strongly recommended.

The GCB-95 is a Wah-Wah Pedal, and nothing more. Either you're looking for a wah sound or you aren't. If you aren't, then this isn't the pedal to buy. It's as simple as they come: there are no knobs and setting and parameters to deal with. There is a foot pedal and an on/off switch located under the toe. I obtained mine without a manual, but I can't imagine needing much help working this pedal anyways. One slight advantage over other wah-wahs is that the GCB-95 can take an adaptor, reducing reliance on it's flimsy battery door.