GCB-95 Cry Baby review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby

Purchased from: Absolute Music

I use this pedal with a Epiphone G-400, a Boss DS-1 and a Peavey Vypyr. Rocking the treadle back and forth "should" get a smooth transition between bass and treble. But you don't I'm afraid. The transition tends to occur about mid-way through the sweep. I highly recommend that if you have already ordered or already have this pedal, that you modify it, there is a wah modification thread already here that you can use. This pedal was my first pedal. Ever. So for about 3-4 months I didn't really hear any kind of problem with it. but eventually the sound got on my nerves. When the treadle is fully down, the treble is a little too much. Again, if you have this pedal. Modify it. It will make it MILES better.

I play mostly classic rock, instrumental rock and a couple of others, and you can't go wrong with a wah pedal. Just modify the darn thing and you will be fine, but in all honesty, you should just get something else, like the slightly more pricey models. If it was stolen, I wouldn't replace it unfortunately, I feel a different wah pedal would suit the sound I'm after more than this. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound too bad. And an audience with no experience with the wide variety of wah pedals will simply hear an awesome effect. I just wish the wah was smoother in the transition and had some kind of an LED to tell me if it's on or not.

After sorting out the sound with some of the wah modifications out there. This thing is built very solidly. The main body is die-cast metal, and the treadle is die cast metal with a rubber foot grip on it. The only bad thing about the exterior, is the underside. The underside (which when unscrewed exposes the electronics)is made from pretty flimsy metal, you can bend it with one hand, but if you are careful when the cover is off, then you have no need to worry. You do not, however, need to remove the underside to change the battery, as there is a clip on cover for it. I would definitely gig with this without a backup. It is well made, and I can comfortably say that it won't fall apart on me.

It's simple to use. Put some weight (with your foot) at the front end, and the wah pedal activates, Rock the treadle back and forth for the wah sound, and put some weight at the front end again to turn it off. The battery compartment is accessable without having to remove screws. But you can remove these screws with your fingers as they also double up as rubber feet. The only way to know it is on is by actually rocking the treadle back and forth to see if it's on or not. An LED would be nice. But you can modify the wah to have one if you absolutely NEED one. It doesn't get much easier than this folks!

Ravenix
    I got mine for Xmas too! I love it! It's got an awesome sound, its just a shame that it doesnt come with a power source . They say they don't ship with a battery 'to avoid damage from battery leakage'; no, Dunlop, you just don't want to pay a battery company to supply you with batteries. -.- And I can well imagine how much a Dunlop 9v adapter costs, as opposed to a normal one :/ The 9v adapter I had didn't work (N.B: 'MOST other adapters will work'), I just got loads of noise; me and teh father are taking the pedal to a guitar shop tomorrow to get the adapter input tested, just to make sure. Had to use the battery from the smoke alarm to try it out! Still, after the initial problems locating a power source, I was sounding like Jimi Hendrix in no time. Well... maybe not. But it was fun all the same! I thoroughly recommnd it. 8D Oh and btw:
    wahs arent really designed for super high notes on the e string, i cant name one solo where a wah pedal as used high up the e (past the 14th fret for example)
    ...Srsly???? I was using mine above the 14th and it sounded fine. Also, as has been said, Iron Maiden, anyone?? :/
    nutter95
    I just ordered mine a few days ago, can't wait for it to arrive! (even though I have possibly the worst setup ever: a cheap epiphone sg, a fender practice amp, and a "headjammer" multi-effects pedal) Only bummer is that I had to order an AC adapter separatly.
    ofshotthefirst
    gd sounding pedal. but i overlooked something vital, and rather stupid. the power input for this gcb 95 doesnt fit with the 8pin in a bcb60, because they just had to but the input a mm and bit further inside the casing... anyone got any suggestions to solve this problem with out spending and more money..?
    fender_No1
    first wah just went out and bought it cos a liked the sound and i have never regretted it great wah