GCB-95 Cry Baby Original review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby Original

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I use the wah fiarly regularly, usually to add a bit of flair to chops higher up the neck. I find it sounds best up until the ninth fret and then it tends to get a bit crappy. I run it through a Roland Cube amp, and I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and I don't get any noise at all. I've also hooked it up to my Yamaha FGX electric acoustic, and I've found it adds a nice touch to arpeggiated chords if used lightly. It has a very dynamic range, with a wide sweep from low bass to a very warm trebly high, and sounds awesome when swept slowly with a shred part.

I play a lot of different styles of music, pretty much anything that grabs my atttention, so obviusly this pedal cant apply to everything. However, it does add a lot of flair in most styles, when used in moderation. All you aspiring Kirk Hammets out there have been warned. I've been playing for awhile now, and this is is probably the best effect I've ever heard. Dunlop invented the wah in the first place, so you now its got a good history. If someone ripped me off, I would definetely get a new one, but I'd wait till the boxing day sales again to get it cheap. I had looked at some other wahs before, including a Rocktron one and the Zakk Wylde signature, but for the money, this one sounded (to me) to be the best. I do wish it had come with an adaptor though. Paying an extra 30 bucks for a cable with a plug on it is a bit of a burn. Overall, great product and lots of fun.

It is very sturdy and comfortable but I wouldn't recommend pulling a Hendrix and putting all your weight on it. I would trust mine without a backup, it doesn't slide around and it has a good solid weight. Overall, no worries here.

This is probably the easiest pedal I've ever played around with. Within seconds of opening the box I had the thing figured out and was playing with it. There is an included manual, but it's really not necessary (unless you cant figure out which Jack the guitar runs through-in which case, buy a Helmet).