GCB-95 Cry Baby Original review by Dunlop

Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby Original

Purchased from: A Friend

The sound is always pretty fun with a Wha. Sadly though on the top end of the Wha's range, there seems to be some clear unwanted noise. It sounds really fuzzy, like the sound you get from a plastic bag. Still, when it's behind a full band, you barely notice it. You can really get a good lead sound like Slash or Hendrix if you really work at it. Like I said, it's not easy to use at first.

I play many styles of music, from soul to reggae, rock to pop... I play in a band where we do Knock On Wood (which I use it briefly in) and Sweet Shild O' Mine (where I use it on the outro solo), and the Wha holds up perfectly to them, among others. If this were stolen? I'd get one again, but maybe a multi-effects unit instead - though having never had one before, I don't know whether it would be better or not - I'm sure it wouldn't be as tough though.

It's fairly hardy, built like a brick. The entire thing's near 100% block-metal, so it's not going to break anytime soon. I wouldn't recomend using it in a loop on a laminate floor, however. The pedal has a tendancy to slide/move when in use, so it could come loose from other pedals. It's happened to me before now, and it's just plain embarrasing.

It's fairly easy to use, although I've used easier. It takes a little time to get the hang of using it though. Using it tastefully is an ART that can't be learnt overnight. When I recieved it, there was no box or manual - it was third hand, in effect. It is easy to set up too, just plug in and play, what could be easier?