GCB-95 Cry Baby Original review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Dunlop: GCB-95 Cry Baby Original

I mainly use a custom guitar with humbuckers and this pedal responds very well to it. This is a great first Wah to play with for a few years to get the feel of using the wah. I personally played this for a year or so until it broke. I got a Crybaby 535Q Wah and then realized what this one had been missing. I find that this Wah gets a too trebly with the toe down. I acually had many people at gigs complain that the sound was too shrill when I put the toe down. There are many better wahs out there, but the crybaby just has a classic tone that others can't get.

This is a good first Wah pedal. It's tons of fun to use and sounds pretty decent for the price. If you can afford it, get one of the nicer Crybabies. But if not, there's nothing wrong with the sound of this one other then being a quite trebly. I'm not sure if my Switch problem is common, but if you really wanted to fix it, it wouldn't be that hard to replace the switch. I just feel that it shouldn't have broke as soon as it did.

This is where I had problems. As I mentioned in the sound section, this pedal acually completly broke. After about a year of using the pedal, somehow the Switch recessed into itself. It was very odd, because the toe of the pedal would no longer reach it, making it pretty useless live because I would have to bend down, reach under the toe and click the switch. Then the Switch died all together and the Wah was stuck on with no way to Switch it off. I called Dunlop and they said they would send a Switch out, but never did. This pedal suprised me because it was built like a tank, but only lasted a year. I have a $20 plastic Danelectro pedal that has lasted about 6 years, so surely the Crybaby should've lasted longer.

This pedal is dead simple. Plug it in, click the toe down, and move the pedal back and forth. That's is. The battery hatch is easy to open and replace the battery. The manual really doesn't help much, since there is nothing to adjust.