GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Dunlop: GCB-95F Cry Baby Classic

Back when I had this pedal, I was using it with my only electric guitar, a Johnson Catalyst. I used it with two different amps over its use: a Line 6 Spider III 75w and a Fender Frontman 10g. Both of which were horrible amps. As far as the sound of this pedal, it is shrill-sounding. That is a word I see many people throw around on this site regarding Crybabys, and this one is no different. It is an absolute tone-sucker. It isn't weak in that regard, it's extremely present, and boy does it hurt my ears. Okay, maybe I'm a bit harsh. This pedal is a tad better than the standard Crybabys that Dunlop produces. You can do worse. I am just personally not a big fan of the Crybaby sound. Some people enjoy them, and some of the models aren't that bad. I just personally don't care for them very much and prefer a less shrill-sounding wah. Then again, I was using it with crap amplifiers at the time, too.

I bought this pedal because I just wanted a cheap Wah pedal. I didn't really know much about tone. I thought Wah was wah. I was wrong. It served its purpose for the time that I had it and it held out just fine in that time period. At the time I bought it, I was playing a lot of heavy metal. Nowadays I play a lot of classic rock and I like much less gain, so it's a totally different ball game. I would like to try one out again and compare it to some other wahs, but I don't really have that kind of time or opportunity. It may actually be decent for Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton style Wah of the early 70's. I've been playing for 3 years now. I've gone through 3 different Wah pedals and 3 different amps in my time. Still the same 2 guitars. What I like about it is that it held up fine for when I had it and it served its purpose. What I don't like is how shrill-sounding these Crybaby wahs and this model in particular are. In comparison to my Ibanez WH10 v2, this thing sounds terrible. In comparison to the other Crybaby I had, this one was still pretty bad. Don't buy this one kids. Not unless you get it for less than $50 or something. It's not worth your money. You can get better wahs for less than the price of these things new.

It worked fine for the 6 or so months that I owned it for. It didn't break. It didn't suck up batteries. I never changed the battery on it in that time period. Not once. So it's good in that respect. It isn't built like a tank, though. I just take special care of all of my possessions, especially my guitar gear. I don't toss them around and leave them to be stepped on or damaged. So it makes sense that it wouldn't die out on me.

The Dunlop Classic Crybaby Wah pedal is a pretty simple to use and understand pedal. There are no knobs. You just step on the pedal with your foot to turn it on and off and depress it to adjust the tone. Up is bassy and down is trebley. Rocking it back and forth makes the "wah" sound. That is how a Wah pedal usually works. This pedal has one sound out of the box, so I can't imagine it's necessarily too difficult to get a sound out of it: just that one sound.