JD-F2 Fuzz Face review by Dunlop

Dunlop: JD-F2 Fuzz Face

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

A tube amp is optimal, I am playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, with a Fender telecaster. In order to get the full range of sounds out of this pedal, it is essential to play with your guitars volume knob. With the guitars volume at full, amp on clean, and the pedals settings at 100% volume and 75% fuzz I get a real distorted Hendrix/classic '60 fuzz tone. Roll the guitar volume back a drop and the sound cleans up greatly but still has some fuzz to it, good for the intro to Hendrix's Castles Made Of Sand. When play my SG through this pedal it is pretty muddy, which I attribute to the humbuckers.

I play rock, blues, and some metal mostly, and this pedal covers the first two well. I do wish I had known about this pedals lack of adapter input before buying it, because it is a problem. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I would buy another, though maybe look for one modded with a 9v adapter input if there's such a thing.

The pedal itself is built like a tank, with an unnecessarily huge (but cool) casing. But I have some gripes: first of all, the battery is not very secure within the pedal, and could possibly become disconnected in a fall. Same with the electronics, I am not sure how well they would fare in a big fall. Also, it eats batteries like they're candy so be ready if you use it alot. Which leads to my next complaint, which I consider a major flaw in this pedals contruction: no adapter input. A good thing for Duracell, but not so good for a gigging musician. I'm sure some electronic buffs can fix that problem, but I know I cant.

Very straight-forward pedal - volume control and fuzz control. The most important thing to getting a good sound out of this pedal is you need to have a good amp. People who play pedals through a Crate or some other SS amp aren't hearing the amps full potential. I haven't read through the manual and I don't think it is necessary to at all. I did have to look at the directions on how to install the batteries, I am embarassed to say.

jcs5234
    this thing is pretty cool, except for that it uses batteries really fast, and its kinda noisy
    R_H_C_P
    I had one, it was crap. Way too bassy, I had to use my Clyde McCoy in the toe position just to make it usable.
    TOB00
    ooh no adapter eh? then im not asking for one for me b-day cause i cant afford batteries . . . (i m also very hungry)
    GrungePb
    I bought one and modded it with a 9v adpater, its really easy and once its done no more batteries!