JD-F2 Fuzz Face review by Dunlop

Dunlop: JD-F2 Fuzz Face

Purchased from: L.A. Music

Squier guitar with Squier amp at first, used a high end Gretch and Peavy Tube amp later. You really need a Tube amp to get a good sound out of this pedal, after all that's what it was designed to be used it. A Very fuzz and noisy. I know you need to a working volume knob on your guitar to work with the pedal, I know David Gilmour was a big fan of adjusting the volume on his guitar to get a more overdriven sound of of this pedal. Perfect at replicating early Floyd since David Gilmour used one up to Dark Side (Time Solo). Not very versital from that though. Found it to be very bass heavey with my Squier rig, not sure if that's cause of my Squier though.

Overall I was a little disappointed in the flexibility of the pedal's sound. Part of that may have to do with the broken volume knob on my guitar but I'm pretty sure that's just the way this pedal is. If lost or stolen I would check out a lot more Fuzz options before buying one again. There are 100's of fuzz pedals replicating this one but with a brighter tone and more versital sound. If you really love that Sawy 70's fuzz then this pedal is for you! It's still a fun cool pedal and there plenty of room for mods and tweaking the sound of it if your into that stuff.

You sure as hell can depend on it! This pedal is made to out Live you. I would have no problem driving over this pedal with a bike, car, or tank. You have to Pick on up yourself, it a good 5-10 lbs of durability! I would use it at a gig without a backup since I added the 9v wall adapter otherwise I might want to have another ready with a fresh battery. Same applies with any pedal that only runs on a 9v though.

Pretty easy to use. Just a volume and fuzz knob. Volume is to control the mix of the pedal and the fuzz knob is for the amount of fuzz. Not sure if there was a manual, if there was it was pretty basic. Very simple pedal. There was no 9v wall adapter though which really blows. I however was able to modify it to have one with ease but come on, it really should have one come with it!

Bluestube
    the.spine.surfs wrote: Aye, hook yo'selves up with a Big Muff pi, people, and enjoy the 30-40 bucks you saved.
    Yes and live with the most crappy tone you can get! dont buy this or the US Muff go buy the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz or the Russian Muff instead they are much better!
    cortez0
    Well no adapter input isn't that a major flaw. Get an adapter and reconnect the wires with a battery ouput (the buttons that are on your battery). It won't cost that much in your local shop.
    Lil Macker
    badman86 wrote: tube amps all the way, SS = sucky sound
    Depends what style of music you play. Jazz players like it because it doesn't break up, and I think funk music can sound better through a Roland Jazz Chorus.