JD-F2 Fuzz Face review by Dunlop

Dunlop: JD-F2 Fuzz Face

This is a really great sounding pedal. The new ones tend to get shunned for supposedly being inferior to old ones, and to some extent I'm sure this is true, but that does not mean this pedal doesn't sound fantastic. I play an '09 American Standard Telecaster through a '74 Twin Reverb. With the fuzz all the way up, you get a sound reminiscent of David Gilmour's "Time" tone (add some chorus and delay and it just sounds great). Roll the fuzz back a little and you get a nice smooth sound that would make Eric Johnson happy. The only issue I've run into is that in bypass mode it absolutely murders your tone and you lose a significant amount of volume. This cannot possibly be a common thing, but I'd still make sure yours works before getting one. This is a non issue for me because I use a Rocktron switching system, so the pedal is not in the signal chain when not in use.

I play classic Rock, Prog, and some Jazz and this pedal has a great sound that I can find a use for in many situations. I can't give it a 10 because of the bypassing issue, but tonally it sounds great. I'd probably get another one if I had too. I wish it had a 9V DC plug, but I can just use a battery clip adapter, so that isn't a problem.

It seems to be well built (minus the rubber on the front that WILL peel off the center) and I see no reason not to depend on this without backup (of course, I do have 6 other dirt pedals, but to each his own...)

This pedal really couldn't be easier to use. Two knobs that do exactly what they say. I've honestly never even opened the manual.