JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah

Purchased from: Music123.com

I use the pedal with an Epiphone double cutaway Les Paul and a Marshall MG30DFX 30 Watt. I also have a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal that I use in conjunction with the Wah Wah pedal and as I said before you need a fuzz before wah setup in order to get the sound reminiscent of Hendrix. This setup gives a warm almost creamy sound that you hear from famous blues artists such as Stevie Ray Vaughan. If you turn the middle up on your amp and add a slight bit of distortion you get a very funky, Chili Peppers sort of sound. I play the classic Hendrix number Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and it's easy to see how the Dunlop JH-1 differs from your standard wah wah pedal. The strength of the sound is quite weak when playing higher up the neck with the wah pedal set back and this is due to the lowered operating frequency. However, I have not found this to be a problem. It is best to position the pedal at least a metre or so from the amp otherwise a distinct tapping sort of sound can be heard.

I absolutely love the Dunlop JH-1 and if it was stolen I would have to get another one. Overall it is a very versatile piece of kit producing a very fat open sound reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix. Despite its slight drawbacks. It is ideal for the kind of stuff I play - bluesy/raw rock and roll with a hint of metal - and I would be happy to rely on it not to let me down in a gig. I have been playing for about two and a half years and in that time I have tried and tested many different effects. The Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah is one of my favourite because of its unique character and style. This is a great addition to anyones setup and well worth considering.

I have had the pedal for about 7 months and so far I have not had a single problem. It has a rock solid die-cast housing which is essential for gig use and there is little risk of it breaking if you drop it. I have already gigged this pedal a few times without a backup and I would be confident to continue using it in this way.

This pedal has an incredibly fat sound due to the lowered operating frequency range. It is best used with a fuzz/distortion pedal with a fuzz before wah setup if you want to get that true Hendrix sound. Even so, if you just want to plug it straight ito your amp it provides a brilliant range of sounds from Slash to Jack White of the White Stripes. Overall I rate the ease of use as a 4.

cadaverburn
    hi i was wonderin were u got your jimi hendrix wah pedal from because i realy admire jimi hendrix but i dont have enough for the other propperjimi hendrix pedal with sounds from voodoo child and purple haze so plzz reply cheers