JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: JH-1 Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah

When I had this, I was using it with a Line 6 Spider III 75w. Aside from the fact that it was a crappy amp, I was mostly playing metal at the time, so this pedal wasn't really what I was looking for. And that is why I sold it very soon after I bought it. I just got it because it was cheap and I wanted any Wah pedal at the time. A poor decision on my part. I was using it with my only electric guitar, my Johnson Catalyst. Like any crybaby, this pedal has a very shrill sound to it. This one was better than the other crybaby I owned, but it still wasn't the best. The effect isn't weak per say, it's pretty prevalent in the mix when you turn it on. This wasn't what I was looking for at the time. It does a pretty decent job of replicating Hendrix Wah sound, but you can still get better Wah pedals for that sound.

When I had this, I played mostly metal, which this pedal was not suited for. Now I play more classic rock like Hendrix, and it would have been better for now, but I have a better Wah in my opinion now, so I don't mind. I think there are better Wah pedals out there for classic rock than this one. I've been playing guitar for 3 years now. This wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. I would recommend a few others before this one. I don't like the shrillness of crybaby Wah pedals in general. I just don't like the line. It was better than the crybaby classic I owned before it, but not better than my current Ibanez WH10 v2.

I would say the pedal was reliable because it never broke when I had it. I bought it a few years old and it still worked fine throughout the duration of my ownership of it. I was using batteries in my pedals at the time, and this one didn't suck them up too bad.

It's pretty easy to use this thing. It has no knobs. You just step on it to turn it on. You rock it back and forth to get the sweeping "wah" sound. Down is treble. Up is bass. Simple to understand. Mine had no manual because I bought it used from a friend. It's made for really only one sound: Hendrix. And that's what it does a pretty decent job of doing.

cltx76
    I have a JH-1 pedal that i never use and its like brand new mechanically and cosmetically. Will take 50 bucks or any reasonable best offer. I am just north of houston texas in Kingwood/Porter area and you can text me @ 832 523 7531 if you are close enough and interested.
    s76yu
    I have an original Dunlop JH-1 and have had it for at least 10 years...it's still going strong. Quite possibly the best wah I've ever used and I do have several. I think the only one that can beat it is the Dunlop BB535/535Q.