MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

I am playing an Ibanez JTK1, through the GT-OD, and into my Peavey Transtube 112 EFX amp, and am in love with the sound it brings. There is no added noise with this pedal, unless you have distortion already on the amp, and then have the pedal cranked as well. The pedal helps me achieve many familiar sounds from artists I love, most notably Angus Young's sound, from AC/DC. The sound is always very warm, and never starts to deteriorate under any settings. You should also note, this pedal is not for metal, it's for blues to classic rock, and that's where it sounds best.

I play mostly metal and classic rock, but I have a special place in my heart for the blues, and that is the reason I bought this pedal. When playing metal, I like to use this as a solo boost, but when playing classic rock or other lighter genres, I use it as my main means of gain. I really like how natural the overdrive on it sounds, and pretty much everything else about the pedal is pretty good too. The only thing I DO not like, is the size. It's a very small pedal, about 3 inches long, and it has three knobs so you often touch them when trying to step on the Switch. I also wish it was easier to put a 9v battery in, because instead of having an easy little case, you need to unscrew the entire bottom compartment off, and then put it in. Other than that, I love this pedal.

I can, and do depend on this pedal. It is made with very good quality, and had no errors when I got it. I would use it to gig without a backup, but would definitely advise using the rubber control covers that can be bought for MXR products. They can easily be put on, so that your foot doesn't accidentally get rid of the settings you wanted, when you're trying to engage the pedal.

This pedal is a great overdrive pedal for any music style, and is very easy to set up and use. It has just three simple knobs, output, tone, and gain. And those knobs can create thousand's of different sounds, with the turn of just one of them. The manual was helpful, but not necessarily needed. It had some preset settings with descriptions for beginners, but most likely you'll want to find your own sound soon after purchasing it.