MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive

Purchased from: Music Store ( Germany)

I use it with my Ibanez GRG170DX, then I also use a Dunlop crybaby 535Q and a Boss DS-1 pedal, and then it goes to my Line 6 spider II. I've also tried it out with a tele and a strat ( not mine) and it sounds great. It isn't noisy at all, with the gain turned all the way down, it can be used as a clean boost. It's pretty much plug in and play, especially in a band situation it will always sound great, no matter what the settings are. It can make any amp sound like a warm tube Overdrive.

I play progrock on my own, but I study jazz and I have an all round coverband, and this pedal fits everywhere. Of all my pedals (3) this one is my favourite and I'd recommend it to every player. My Boss distortion really sucks comparing to this one. I'm now looking for more MXR products, because they really rock! If it was stolen, I'd buy it again.

I don't always take all my pedals with me, but I take this one every where I go. that means I always put it on the ground and not on a pedalboard, it has no protecting on the back and it's losing the paint:) but I don't mind for a few scares on this one, because I don't want to sell this pedal, ever. you also need to unscrew the back for installing the battery, so you better have an adaptor. Yes I use it without backup.

After three months having this pedal, I'm still impressed. It has an output knob, tone and gain knob. the manual is very usefull, any noob will know how it works by reading this. Another cool feature is that in a dark room, you can still see what the settings are, the White Stripes on the knobs will light up.

Kevin Saale
    Hmm, I have to instantly disregard both of these posts since neither of you have a tube amp, negating the need for an od.
    twistudriffer
    don't worry I am getting this pedal in a week or so and I'm gonna test it on my Epi valve jr. kidding! its for my jcm 800. can't wait!