MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive

I'm running an Engl Fireball head through a modded Marshall 1960A cab (speaker swap, V30/G12-65 clones) with various different humbucking equipped guitars (all passive pickups). Truth be told, I use this pedal far less these days now that I have my Engl, but it is golden for boosting a mid-gain amp into metal territory, or for tightening up loose low end, such as that found on the Mesa Boogie F-50 head I owned prior to my Engl. Aside from using this thing as a gain boost/bass tightener for metal tones on an already dirty amp, it offers fantastic warm, gritty tube Overdrive tone on it's own that is perfect for blues, classic rock, and rockabilly. It has quite a bit of gain on tap too. Not enough for anything that uses a lot of gain like metal or punk, but plenty for just about anythig else. The tone knob is quite useful on this thing too. You can dial in lots of clarity with ease, something I've found to be lacking on cheaper Overdrive pedals. It's just more tonally flexible overall too. Do watch out for noise though. A little goes a long way with the gain on this thing, and using too much will result in much hum and feedback.

Overall, this is a fantastic Overdrive pedal, especially for the price. It blows away the TS9 IMO, and just has a better core tone/is better built than the SD-1 or the Bad Monkey. Whether you need a nice, classic tube grit for light-mid gain stuff, or you want to turn your already dirty tube amp into a fire-breathing dragon, this makes a great addition to any rig. It doesn't offer as many bells and whistles as some of it's competition, but it does what it's designed to do very well. If I had to replace this, I'd either seek out another one, or go with a modded Maxon OD808 if I were to spend more. Recommended!

This pedal has been great to me, and has never let me down. It seems quite well built. The only complaint I have about it is the paint job on it - It will scratch quite easily, so invest in some kind of way to keep it protected for gigs, unless you don't mind a bit of character on your gear.

What we have here is the MXR Custom Shop GT-OD Overdrive pedal, a rather overlooked offering from MXR. It's a very simple pedal to operate, and it's appearance may make one think "Tube Screamer". Gain, tone, and output knobs are available to tweak to your hearts content. Looks like a familiar companion, and is just as simple to use, but has more to offer sonically.

thedeaduk
    Kevin Saale wrote: Hmm, I have to instantly disregard both of these posts since neither of you have a tube amp, negating the need for an od.