MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion

Purchased from: musician's friend

I play a Bc Rich Ironbirs theough Pyramid 900d amp. And with my setup it gave it a good 80's metal distortion with sensitive screaming and harmonics. And when you mute the strings you dont get a shit load of feedback, like on other high-gain applications. If you max out the bass and gain you do get feedback, but you dont need to, you get a great sound w/o doin that. Kepp in mind; this is a solid state effect but with a double-humbucker setup you will get a sound that is pretty damn close to dimebag's.

In 2 years of playing the guitar I've been searching for something I can get screams out of without having to worry about the huge-ass ammount of feedback when I stop playing. and this does that. There are some quirks that can be easily gotten used to. Like when you are turning the bass up and you get to a little more that half-way the sound scompletely changes, kinda wierd I know. It is pretty good, if only there more sounds you could get out of it, I would sleep with it.

This thing is f--kin indestructable. I baked over it with my car accidentally and it was still perfect, worked fine. One thing that is really cool is the letters and knobs glow in the dark. I do alot of playin in the dark and this makes it so I dont have to turn the lights back on when I'm changin the settings. It's the best.

When I first opened this thing and started tweakin it my first thought was "what a piece of s--t". But it came with a manual. And showed different types of distorion. And it showed the exact settings that dimebag uses. (That's who it was modeled after: Dimebag Darrel of Pantera.) And then I upped the gain and treble a little and I got a great sound. It was a good 80's metal distortion with sensitive screaming and harmonics. And when you mute.

MESAexplorer
    Can you tell me the settings for this thing you use to get a pantera tone. I've owned this thing for a long time, every amp i try it with it sounds very bland, no tone, just a sharp distortion. From my experiece, this pedal sounds like you took the Kill Em' All tone and turned the bass knob back to about 70.