MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dunlop: MXR DD-11 Dime Distortion

Purchased from: www.guitartek.com

I am using this pedal through a Marshall MG100HDFX and an Epiphone Les Paul. The only time you get a horrible sound i.e. feedback, is either when everything on the pedal is turned up full, or when the amp distortion is on and everything on the amp distortion settings is on full. You can acheive Dimebag Darrel style distortion reasonably easily after you have set it up to how you want, all you have to do is depress the scoop Switch which adds much more treble to the distortion and gives it that sound that he was so famous for, of course it won't make you play like him. That would be very very hard!

I play all styles of music, but when I'm playing metal this pedal excels, it is brilliant for that, not much else as the tone is so metal like, the distortion is brilliant for pinch harmonics, absolutly amazing. I love the scoop Switch which instantly gives Dimebag style tones. Overall this pedal was amazing, until it broke and it still hasn't been returned by the slow warranty service.

Well to start with I used this pedal all the time, I loved it, I thought it was absolutly brilliant, then one day I went to plug it in and I got no lights no power no nothing. I checked to see if it was the power lead by plugging that into my Jim Dunlop crybaby. That worked fine. I then started the long process of sending it back via warranty I sent it off about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't returned, from america which was a pricey shipping fee as I live in England. Big dissapointment.

When I first bought this pedal, I couldn't wait to get it plugged in, I plugged it in, put my amp through clean, and stomped. First thoughts were. 'What a rip off' The sound was rubbish, no better than my amp distortion in fact then I looked through the manual, which contained all sorts of preset adjusments and told me to put my amp distortion behind aswell for more crunch, I did that played with the settings for a while, and I finally got it sounding great, I was so glad it wasn't a rip off, it just takes time to get it sorted out to your own preference that's all.

USAPeavey
    adsauzier
    TheShredifi wrote: umm, its a signature pedal. its not really supposed to be very versatile.
    It actually is, when I tried it out at a Guitar Shop with a clean amp, I found a cool Punk and Classic Rock Setting. Any setting with the Scoop button is practically Dime's Tone.
    Shredboy
    great pedal this is... I just bought one... my dean should sound awesome thru it!
    bossboy
    hey ironbird i h8 to be a dick but Dimebags tone was solid state mostly untill hes later years
    Betzefer
    Man I ordered this pedal yesterday without even trying it, the demo video on youtube looked so ****ing awesome and I'm a die hard dimebag fan... I wanted to try it out first but my local music store ran out of stock with it and so they told me to drive all the way to Tel Aviv (I live in Israel) where they have it in stock... so I said **** it and just ordered it off Ebay, anyway the reviews I read here made me a bit nervous about it, the moment I get my hands on it I'll work for weeks to get the perfect setting and I hope it's gonna sound as good as it should.
    brad_sadler_666
    Hey, I'm looking to metal the f*ck up Dime is an idol of mine, is this a worthwhile pedal to get? I'm 15 so I don't have the finance to buy another if this isn't right for me. Thoughts? sadley_bradler@hotmail.co.uk cheers, much love xx
    Sigmar123
    I bought this pedal about a year ago (online, just because it had Dime's name on it) -Just like most of you guys, I didn't like it one bit in the start. But it grows on you. The preset setting that they say Dime used, sounds really close to him. I use it alot with the scoop button up, so it sounds kinda AC/DC-ish. I rated it 7.
    Wyldejs30rr666
    I like to play all that remains and trivium on my marshall i never use the scoop switch doesn't sound good to me. I mix my amp disto with the pedal.
    triviumfan52
    I just bought one of these and at the moment I'm a tad dissapointed by it. I've only had say 30-40 mins fiddling around but I think the sound is pretty poor. My amp isn't the greatest but The MXR Cry Baby sounds good through it so I don't see why this shouldn't! Can anyone enlighten me as to what settings they are using/ liking on this... Cheers.
    Wyldejs30rr666
    I own that pedal and I use it everyday, bossboy's right dime used solid state for most of his career, will he was in damage plan he switch from Randall to Krank and i dont think he ever did used that pedal actually. will in damage plan he was using wylde OD, I never seen a dime dist, for those who didn't know. Awsome pedal gives me a greet tone with my marshall.
    Realturka
    I compared a MT-2 and Metal Master and that crappy metalzone pedal surely woulda bowed down to the Master.
    deanplayer18
    damn i want this pedal with the crybaby from hell to boost it ive tried it before with a dean razorback 225 with emgs 81 an 60(james hetfeild style) running threw a crate flexwave series and man was this a metal beast even tho the emgs boost the sound already without the pedal just going in threw the amp on od setting i already had a great metal sound but once i turned on the pedal wow it was just brutal even tho it had a weird phase/flanger sound to it the guy said that was a big part to his sound which makes sence i guess since dimebag did use and mxr flanger for the cowboys from hell intro but all in all a good high gain metal pedal with dimes hardcore xtreme metal sound i wanna try this also with his dean razorbacks with his signitare pickup as well ur sure to have some extreme fun geting some pantera tunes out of it
    nutinpwnsgibson
    dude anythings better than a metalzone. this pedal seems nice i still dont know wat metal distortion to buy
    splicky
    I've just been given this pedal as a present from my father so it will be very interesting to see what it sounds like...Happy playing!
    Offroadryda
    ive been comparing pedals lately and idk if i should get this pedal or for $30 more get the krank distortus maximus pedal?
    synyster.punk
    ive used it when i was out buying a pedal and on a budget, it sounds ****ing awesome, i played it with my ibanez gio thru a Crate 150 watt amp and behinger 4X12, but not sure what models, and it sounded great. i dont like marshalls, they have too much mid range so i didnt use one.
    the.spine.surfs
    Hey, that's where I keep my pedals. Tempting...I'm looking for a good metal tone without the massive exposion of feedback all over my face. That's a pain to clean up.
    Chickenfrmheck
    USAPeavey wrote: Dude your front drive way is the safest place for any pedal. Didn't you know that? lol
    lol nice