MXR EVH Phase 90 Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 08/18/2007 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Dunlop: MXR EVH Phase 90
The tones that EVH got on that classic record are among the greatest ever, and a huge part of Eddie's guitar sound has always been the MXR Phase 90.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
 2,441
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MXR EVH Phase 90 Reviewed by: sword shredder, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: This has one knob, and a script/reissue button switcher. The knob changes the speed of the phasing effect and the button is like a mix knob; not pushed in is 100% of the phaser, pushed in is 50% of the phaser. You have to unscrew the back (4 screws) to get to the battery, and there is a 9-volt adaptor slot. It's easy to get to your Eruption; put the phaser before distortion, script Switch in, and speed knob to 10. The manual doesn't say much apart from this suggestion, but they say to put it on 9. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with a Jackson DK2M Dinky, into a Randall RG50TC. I noticed no noise, this is not a Behringer pedal. The phasing sounds great for leads and tapping, kinda like a light wah going in and out slowly. It gives a great 'liquidy' sound when clean, but for rhythm playing it sounds kinda bad if you overuse it. This is where you use a flanger instead of phaser. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for over a year, and it's never failed. However, the first website I ordered this from sent me a faulty one. I sent it back and got one that worked. A while later it stopped working. I sent it back and got another faulty one. Sent that back and got another faulty one. So I got my money back and ordered it from another place, which worked fine. All that hassle for a phaser? // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years, and this is 'Technically' the third phaser I've used. The other ones were an amps built in effects and a multi-effects pedal. If it was stolen/lost I probably wouldn't buy it again, because I need an Overdrive pedal. If I got an Overdrive and chorus, and EQ, I would buy the MXR PHASE 100, since it's the same but with a proper mix knob. // 9

Comments