MXR M151 Doubleshot Distortion review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR M151 Doubleshot Distortion

Purchased from: Steve's Music in Toronto

Right now I'm using an american made Fender stratocastor with standard single coil pickups through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 and mainly use it for my lead tones; which sound immense. Having the guitar and amp I use that generally produce sharper thinner tones it's great to have nice fat lead tones for my solos. I also use it when playing heavier stuff like punk rock and hard rock for a nice beefy rhythm tone. The EQ controls are fairly hude as well so you have a massive control over your tone. I don't usually try to imitate others' tone, I just do what sounds best with my particular style and it gives me more than enough control to do just that. However, if you just want an Overdrive I wouldn't recommend as it's made to go much further, but it is a great all around pedal.

I play all sorts of music but mainly classic to modern rock and I do a fair amount of guitar solos. The doubleshot is great for what I do as I like to mix up my tones a lot and I love a nice thick lead tone. I use a fair amount of pedals as well as my amp distortion but this is my main pedal for leads or if I need a beefier rhythm tone. I have 2 overdrives and a fuzz on top of my amp distortion to get a wide range of flavours as well as a 10 band EQ, 2 wah pedals and a delay. My favourite solo tone in my arsenal is definately my doubleshot with the Zakk Wylde signature Crybaby before it; it's just a huge expressive sound that cuts through the mix and has a tendency to melt souls and impregnate elderly ladies. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't even think twice about replacing; and if I found the cuplret, it wouldn't be pretty.

I've had mine for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. It's built like a tank to take all you can give it and it'll dish it right back at you. It's got a full metal jacket. I don't own a backup and I use it at pretty well all my gigs without worry.

The doubleshot is very easy to use as long as you have a fairly good idea of the sound you want and an ear for it. It's got a huge tonal range which can throw someone off if they don't know what they want. But the short user booklet has a few suggested settings made specifially for humbuckers, single coils, etc. which should give you a pretty good starting point so you can get rocking. The two controls are very easy to navigate and the bright red LED's show you which of the two channels you are on. It's like having another amp sitting on the floor in a little box.