MXR ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal review by Dunlop

Dunlop: MXR ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal

I am using a Fender Fat Strat, a Marshall MG15DFX, and this pedal. I'm positive it would sound great through a better amp, but it sounds great to my ears through mine. The effect is noisy on high settings, a good noise gate would surley cure this. This thing is an Overdrive but it has a lot more gain than most units, this is most likely the reason for the noise. As I'm sure someone has said, this will not give you Zakk's sound. Zakk plays all tube heads with his gain near 10, he uses this to push them a little more. However, I still recommend this to anyone looking for a quality Overdrive unit. It can give you a light overdirve or sear your face off, whichever you prefer.

I believe this would be suitable for any style of music you think you would need it for. It is not however in my opinion suited to blues. It has a little too much hair on it for that. A Tubescreamer is likely your best bet there. For Rock, Metal, etc however, this thing shines. If it were lost I would replace it and probably buy a Smart Gate or something to cure the noise, which is this units only fault I can think of. I compared this too the TS-9, and SD-1 when buying. Both were great, but the SD-1 was a little too weak for me, and the TS-9's mid-boost and bass-cut were not what I was looking for. I tired this and loved it.

I would definitley depend on it. I do not gig yet but it will be with me when I do. It weighs a good pound or so. Made out of solind steel, you could use this as a weapon no problem.

This pedal is very easy to get a good sound out of. One of the best overdrives out there I think. Three controls on it, output, tone, and gain. Unlike most overdrives this one has a very good and dynamic tone control. It gives a great sweep of sounds.