MXR ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Dunlop: MXR ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal

Purchased from: Musician's friend

The sound is far from impressive, no matter what gear you play in conjunction with. For instance, I have played Fender, Schecter, Washburn, and Gibson guitars and Crate and Peavey amps with it and they all result in a bland, disappointing sound. I was excited about getting this pedal, but it seems that the marketing of this effect is to sell a mediocre pedal with a guitar icon's name on it. For instance, the so called "Zakk Wylde" settings do not remotely resemble the original.

I have been playing guitar for twelve years and while I play all different styles of music from time to time, I mainly play alternative rock, classic rock, and metal. With that said, this pedal is very much inferior to the Boss, DigiTech, Zoom, and DOD overdrives/distortions that I have owned. If this pedal where lost or stolen then I would just wait for whoever stole it or found to return it because they would not keep it either.

It is built very well and appears to be pretty rugged. Also, it is very dependable. However, I would never use it at a gig in the first place.

While this pedal is relatively easy to use, I am not sure that there is even a reason to use it. It has three knobs and they are easy to adjust. The manual also comes with some suggestions of settings.