Picks review by Dunlop

Dunlop: Picks

I tried every Pick with my Cort KX5 and my Orange TH30. Fins: 3-in-1 pick: the sharp-edged side is aimed towards soloing; the thick-edged side is aimed towards rhythm playing; the jagged side is supposed to give you a 12-string feeling. Jazz IIIs: These picks give you thick palm mutes, and really contribute to your technique IMO(such as pinch harmonics). I also did a side-by-side comparison of the Ultex, Tortex and Max-Grip picks, and noticed that the Max-Grip are very similar sounding to the Ultex, which -when using distortion- gives you a grainy sound with a more pronounced high end, unlike the Tortex picks, which give you a smooth sound when using distortion, with more low end. Keep in mind that thick picks give you a more pronounced low end, whilst thin picks give you a more pronounced high end; and sharp edges give you a brighter high end and round edges give you more of a dull sound.

People spend thousands of Euros trying to find the perfect sound, whilst some don't realize the difference a Pick makes. Playing a song with a thin round-edged Pick or playing it with a thick sharp-edged Pick makes a big difference. Picks also contribute to your technique, I learnt how to do pinch harmonics way faster with a small Pick (e.g. a Jazz III pick). Using a smaller Pick also makes sure you only use the tip of your pick, like you should. Since Dunlop picks are mostly only 0.50, you should really go to your local guitar shop and buy various shapes and thicknesses, you will find out it makes a big difference.

I found that most of the Dunlop picks are unbreakable (especially the 1.0 mm and thicker picks), unless you use them in a way they aren't meant to be used (come on, we all use our picks as toothpicks and as objects to clean up the dirt that's under our nails). Of course, picks thinner than .60 mm bend easily, making them unusable, but most of them (especially the Tortex and Ultex ones) are very sturdy. They also come in various nice colors (green, blue, yellow, orange, ...), but it would be nice if they'd give them fluorescent colors, for us gigging musicians, who drop their Pick and can't find their spare ones in their pockets, since some of them slip somewhat easy.

A few weeks ago I got a whole bunch of picks from Dunlop, including Fins; Jazz IIIs; Ultex; Tortex; Max-Grip and some special ones (stainless steel, aluminum, ...) of various sizes and shapes. Although some picks take some time to get used to (i.e. Jazz IIIs, Fins), and others are probably aimed towards a more specific genre (i.e. the stainless steel picks), almost every Pick handles pretty well and sounds good.

Sign of War
    SkepsisMetal
    I must own hundreds of spent Tortex picks. They are the best around IMO, and I just cant bring myself to throw them away, even though they've become almost a circle.
    jetwash69
    Woffelz wrote: I use the Gator 0.96 picks. They take time to get used to, but they are brilliant. Try them! I prefer them over the Tortex picks.
    Mr Winters
    I bought a couple of Jazz 3 picks at my local store only to find out, at home, that they weren't dunlop but Fire Stone.
    Ubergrue
    I use the Green Ultra Sharp Dunlop picks. They're amazing in my opinion, great for Tremolo picking and just shredding in general. And ,IMO, they've helped me learn how to sweep pick faster than other picks because they're SUPER sharp. God, i wish i knew how thick they were, but the black turtle and numbers are gone from all my picks xD. Also, I bought some Dunlop Strings once and they came with this brow-transparent pick. I think it was supposed to simulate Picks made from Tortoise shells? anyway, It felt absolutely amazing, SO comfortable. I'd recommend Dunlop Strings and Picks to anyone.
    grungelive72
    D'Andrea Pro Plecs are all I use for jazz and rhythm playing, but i use the dunlop 1.2mm for my lead playing. I find the dunlops have a lot more bite and attack.
    nycibbyryder
    I have extra sweaty finger tips that corrode strings and slide picks out of my hands lol. So I was only able to use the max-grip picks. Guess I'll try the tortex picks though.
    janarumo
    Dunlop John Petrucci Black Jazz III's. such a slick attack and amazing feel, bigger than jazz iii but smaller than jazz XL. I almost exclusively use those or my fingers
    heero22
    I personally like the 1.0 (blue) Tortex Tiii picks (sufface area of a regular pick with a Jazz III tip) and the Fender Celluloid heavy picks. With the celluloid and round picks in general I sand them to a sharp point with beveled edged. That's the trick to pick longevity, 220 grit sandpaper, Best effect EVER!
    thisd00d
    Definitely go with 1mm Tortex sharps or thicker if your playing heavy metal for chugging or trem picking.
    david1707
    I just switched to the .88 black tortex. I have problems with sweaty hands and they work really well for that problem. I might try some thicker ones next time. These things last forever too.
    5t0rM
    Sign of War wrote: i tried playing with fender thine picks when i started and just couldn't play at all, then my guitar teacher handed me a Jazz 3 and it just felt 'right' and i would never use anything else.
    Agreed on that. Fender thin picks are just trash. One of the literally snapped and one part of it stayed ON the string while rest of it stayed in my hand during the gig. We had to stop the song way before it was supposed to end cos drummer couldn't hear me and stopped playing (i couldn't just rotate the pick cos of it's bad shape).
    JonnyMonster91
    Jazz III's are probably the best picks for a heavier, fatter metal or heavy rock sound. I used to use them, but I have since found my way to Fender thins and mediums as far as classic rock and blues are concerned. Gators are also pretty awesome for all around use.
    Woffelz
    guy_tebache
    I love the Tortex .60mm picks. They last forever and they never break, only wear away on the tip.
    Moogabbin
    I've changed picks so many times throughout the years and eventually found my way to Jazz III's. They are so amazing. But when it comes to just strumming an acoustic guitar, I like to find the thinnest thing possible.
    juggernaut88
    "3-in-1 pick: the sharp-edged side is aimed towards soloing; the thick-edged side is aimed towards rhythm playing; the jagged side is supposed to give you a 12-string feeling"
    Didnt know dunlop had one of those...sounds pretty cool...and effective
    SSaxdude
    The green Tortex picks are my favorite for guitar. Heavy triangle Fender picks are my favorite for bass.
    Air_Stryker
    jetwash69 wrote: People who know... use Gators. I like the 2.0 mm I use the thinner ones for blocking Floyd Rose trems during string changes.
    Resourceful (Y) I use Jazz III's. Spent 10 once and bought twenty different picks. The third or fourth one I tried was the Jazz III, and it was so comfortable and sounded good too, I just didn't bother with the rest. =D
    Miiiiks
    Am I the only one who doesn't need a specific pick model to play my best? Except for Jazz III's... My hands are too big....
    RockRolla
    I use the green Tortex picks,but recently tried the Hetfield Venom pick and like them alot.
    unyinz
    The heavy "sharp" Tortex picks are my favorite. The sharper picking end makes picking with finesse a lot easier.
    COBHC_Cam
    I use the 1.14 purple tortex sharps my they are prefect for everything, they are thick so they have a heafty sound but the sharp makes it easy to tremolo pick as well
    Invin
    I like Ultex Sharps and Max Grips in 1mm for rhythm playing and Jazz III XLs for recording solos. I find the Jazz IIIs really cut down on string noise and sound smooth. Picks are so cheap it's totally worth it to go buy a couple of anything that interests you and try them all.