SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah

I play the wah through a Strat copy single coil electric and a Marshall MG30DFX. It sounds great on both channels; a nice, round sound through the clean, and a cutting feel on the OD channel. You can really control how much "wah" it makes because of it's sensitivity. The distortion boost adds extra gain and sounds good, but not great. I can get great Slash tones with it but it can also get Hendrix, and Kirk Hammet sounds or use it in blues type songs. When the wah is off, the bypass doesn't sap the tone of the amp and sounds just the same as if I plugged my guitar straight into the amp.

I play mostly hard rock, classic rock, some metal, and the Slash wah is a good pedal for those, if you use it right. You can also use it in blues, I suppose. It adds spice to any song. If it were stolen, I would hunt down whoever it was that took it and I would take it back forcefully. Or if I couldn't do that, I would definitely buy another one, hopefully for the same price as I originally did because it lists for $170. It's a high quality wah and I would recommend it to anybody.

This pedal is built very sturdy, out of die cast metal it seems. It's taken a few tumbles on concrete, but the only damage it did was small scratches on the knobs. Sometimes, you can't hear the "wah" effect past the 12th fret, and I figured out that it may be because the pickups are either not hot enough or just too far from the strings. I have the neck pickup all the way low, and the bridge one high and the effect is more noticable on the bridge pickup. It seems very dependable and I would gig with it, as long as I have the 18-volt adaptor.

This wah is incredibly easy to use. You click on the toe end to activate the wah, rock your foot forward to make the "wah" sound or keep it back for a nasaly sound. It also has a distortion boost with a knob for volume and another for tone. The button to activate it is on the right side of the wah, so just kick it with the side of your foot and it will activate. You can only use it with the wah activated, though. The Slash wah has two sets of LEDs on each side, a blue one and a red one. When the wah is activated, the blue LED turns on and when you kick in the boost, a the red indicates it's on. It comes with a manual that basically says what I said.

^Slash^
    I played this once. My brother's friend has it. It's pretty sweet the. Excellent for that extra boost for solos. and yeah wah's arent very effecive at high pitches. But on mine (classic wah) it does the job. Since I like to play most of my stuff in E.
    mr_sinistah
    yer, strats are weak, you gotta raise your pickups just a tad, maybe like 4 or 5mm, 1/4 inch that is. You should invest in some hotrails bot your strat, i got some for the bridge, sounds so mad and crunchy, adds a lot of tone and general ommph.
    mr_sinistah
    you should watch your amp too, i've heard some blow up cause they heat up and short circuit or some crap:S shifty!! but if it works and doesn't cut, you'll be fine
    Campbell_x50
    Yeah this happened to mine, I was so pissed off. But luckly it happened within THOMANN's 30 day guarentee thing, I contacted them, they sent a courrer to collect it and within 2 weeks I had a new one under me boot. So far no problems and the quality of the SW-95 is class. Just one hitch, when you wack the Vol + Gain both to the max, the feedback is painful, but I'm going to invest in a MXR smart gate to sort that one out.