SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah review by Dunlop

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Dunlop: SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah

I play a lot of blues-rock, hard rock, guitar rock. Black Stone Cherry, Alterbridge, Shinedown, Steve Vai, Buck Cherry, Black Crowes, etc. When I demo'd it in the shop, I used a Fender telecaster, and a 50w tube amp that the name of escapes me, I think it was a Laney or a Bugera. And at home, I used an Ibanez JEM 555 and a Crate GTX-212. If you turn the Drive setting up past like 3/10 you start to feed back, and if you turn the level up, the tone disapparates and it sounds muddy, all clarity is lost, and it's not a pleasant experience. I got a good sound out of it; it sang well in the right places with the right amount of Drive kicked in, and it had an overall pleasant wah sound. On the normal crybaby channel, I felt there was a lot left to be desired. It worked a lot better with distortion than it did without. I think the Drive circuit was quite transparent, so it only really upped gain and sustain. The normal crybaby setting on clean was lackluster and there wasn't an awful lot you could do with it. And the Drive setting wasn't very nice to my ears when the amp was clean.

I've been playing for 5 years now, I bought this on my 18th birthday (I'm not too far from 20). I've stated The Music and gear that I play and own, and I think that if it had been more reliable, and worked better on a clean channel, it could have been a very-well integrated part of my sound. Buying this product, I would have asked the guy if the pedal was actually reliable, how to change the batteries, and what he would recommend, to try and compare, as opposed to just saying "That's a wah pedal, I need one, let's bag it and go home". If it were stolen, I'd have laughed. To be honest, I chose it because it looked nice, and had Slash's name on it, so I assumed I wouldn't be getting ripped off. But I did. Overall, average wah pedal, at best. Unreliable. I wouldn't recommend it. For the price you could get a Bad Horsie Wah, Weeping Demon, ZW-45, and the Boss 535, as well as the Crybaby from Hell.

Mine broke after 3 days. I replaced batteries and the circuits both went. I had no signal at all. To replace the batteries, you have to flip open part of the rubber pallet on the pedal, extract on battery, and then fiddle about to get the other to come out, and replacing them is the same. It's not very easy, ergonomic, or safe on the part of the pedal. I never got to gig with it. But I definitely wouldn't now, knowing what I do. I took it back, and got the Original Crybaby wah and Boss OD-3, which I then traded for a Yamaha RGX420DZ and now own a ZW-45 and ZW-44.

It's a wah pedal. Plug and play baby. It's got two knobs on the side, if I recall its Drive and volume. It has two circuit boards, each taking a 9v battery, one for the crybaby wah, and one for the driven wah sound. There's a button on the side at the heel that lets you Switch between the two. Getting a good sound isn't hard, getting a great sound out of it is very difficult. It doesn't make you sound like Slash at all, its just got his name on it. To sound like Slash, you need a Les Paul and a Marshall stack with tons of reverb =]

Funkussionist
    First wah pedal I've owned and is the best wah I've used. Just be careful to set the gain and volume knobs carefully before a gig otherwise when you kick in the distortion button you could get unwanted feedback.
    duzit89
    kchapkidodawg wrote: This pedal sucks. It sounds good IF you can find a way to stop the neverending feedback. Can someone help me?
    simply turn off the distortion.. if you already have kickass distortion why the hell would you add more and suffer through feedback