SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: SW-95 Slash Signature Cry Baby Wah

Purchased from: 4Sound Denmark

I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 Reissue Goldtop '98 through my Marshall JVM410H head with a Marshall 1960 A Lead cab. I haven't noticed any noise from it when it's bypassed, and it doesn't make any white/unwanted-noise when engaged either. When it comes to the sound of the filter it's all about taste. I would have preferred a wider/broader/longer/more open filter if that makes any sense. You kinda have to hit a narrow sweetspot to control the filter on this one, which can be annoying because you're usually not so precise with your foot during a gig. But the overall sound of the filter is quite good. And then there's the distortion curciut. I find it kinda useless, and I usually only use it when I'm going for some crazy, muddy effect, it's close to being a fuzz.

I've played a lot of genres during my 6-7 years of guitar-playing, and this has been my go-to wah-pedal for some of those years. I had a Vox V845 before I bought the Slash Wah, but it became really noisy and I didn't like the filter that much, so I bought the SW95 to replace it. Remember, this Wah doesn't make you sound like Slash. Yes, ofc you have to have his setup, but you also have to have his mind and hands as well. But if you really like Slash, then this or the new one would be a good buy for you.

I'm a bit torn when it comes to reliability and durability. I has worked great for me for a couple of years, but now it suddenly died. The only thing that works are the lights, and when I press it, it cuts of the signal. Ofc I'm going to send it in to a local dealer to get it repaired, but if it's total I might not buy the same one over again before I've tested the alternatives. But it was good for a couple of years without ANY problems, so it isn't that bad though. I'm really not sure how to rate this one, but you've got all the information and you can decide for yourself what you think of it.

As said in one of the reviews above, "Getting a good sound isn't hard, getting a great sound out of it is very difficult," which I would agree 100% with. It runs on 18VDC, but it did not come with a power supply, which can be problematic because 18VDC isn't that common. It can run on two 9V batteries, but I would recommend you to buy a power supply asap. It has a gain- and a volume-knob and a distortion circuit that you can turn on/off with a switch on the side, but it can be tricky hitting that switch after you've placed the pedal on your pedalboard. Otherwise it's a normal plug-and-play wah-pedal that you engage with a heavy duty bypass switch.

steen1961
    I have the slash pedal and whilst the distortion may have some flaws ( but then i noticed the majority of reviewers are using Epiphone thru tiny marshalls so there opinion can't be taken too seriously ! ) the Wah flavours are sweet! Yes it it as robust as a Fijian Bouncer at a topless bar! A cool looking pedal with a paint job Exhibit and the Pimp My Ride crew would do there nuts over. Get the pedal . End of story !