ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I'm an unlikely user of the pedal; Fender Stratocastor through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212. However, I almost always use it in conjunction with my MXR doubleshot dirtortion for huge, soulful solos. When it comes to a wah for lead guitar this is by far the best I've used. It's also nice for slowly sweeping through clean arpeggios and making crazy airplane sounds. I have a regular crybaby that I use for doing funk and more classic tones but the Zakk is my main method of mayham. Not the best all around wah but it's perfect for what it's made for.

I bought this thing without trying it for half price as a local music store was going out of buisness figuring that if I didn't like it I could always sell it for more than I actually paid for it and still less than it was worth. Then I got home and hooked it up to my board, kicked on the doubleshot and gave it a slow sweep, it was so thick and the wah sound was so pronouned that I never had the heart to get rid of it. If you are a fan of deep, throaty wah sounds then look no further. I wouldn't be wasting my time doing a review if I didn't either love it or hate it. I don't think I can live without it now that I've owned one and used one. Everyone is always complimenting me on my lead tone and this is a good chunk of the reason. However, like I mentioned earlier, if you play funk or something where you want more or a percussive or trebley sound, this probably isn't the pedal for you; try an original.

Haven't had a single problem yet; though I haven't had it very long I didn't even bother sending in the warrantee card. I use it at all my gigs without a backup. It's a solid peace of machinery. I give it it's fair share of abuse onstage and it takes it all.

Crybaby: so easy, even your drummer could figure it out. Stomp it and rock! Sometimes I wish it was like a Morley where it activates as soon as you depress it without a Switch but it's such a great feeling when you just slam your foot down and start rocking a sweet solo.

mouldysandwich
    note to all: this pedal rocks unless you use an adaptor for it. the input jack for the adaptor wasnt well soldered on (on mine anyway) and after plugging it in several times the jack broke off and the whole pedal stopped workin... it was easily fixed, but just a bit of hassle
    Warheart1188
    The Zakk Wylde Wah is great. It's just a simple pedal with no fancy knobs and switches like some other wahs( e.g. The Crybaby from Hell). Its got great tone and its versatile.
    fear no beer
    best wah iv tried hands down,this baby makes your wah sound likes zakks wah sound,especially with a zakk wylde les paul