ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah

Purchased from: Music store

This pedal is being run through a Traynor amp. The amp goes into the wah wah pedal. The pedal goes into a Fuzz Face which then goes into a normal Jackson guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups. When I change from a normal tone to the wah wah pedal, the sound doesn't get louder or softer. It doesn't have any settings, but it still works well. The effect (when working right) sounds great. When the wah wah pedal is pointed up then it is much softer. There is a big volume differance between the forward position and back position. So, it's hard to use it while soloing. I play Voodoo Chile with this pedal, and it gets a sound close to Hendrix. There is a throatier wah tone because of modified circuitray. It sounds best when I use my Fuzz Face with it. I also add a bit of chorus to it. I think the sound is great.

I play a lot of blues and classic rock, and some Steve Vai. I expected it to not work that well because it's Zakk Wylde, but it does work very well for any genre of music. I have been playing for about 7 months, and I also own a Fuzz Face. There is nothing I would have asked before buying this product. If it were stolen I would probaly look at some other wah wah pedals. But, in my opinion, a wah wah pedal is a wah wah pedal, and there is not much change between this, and the original cry baby. I love it's sound, I don't like it's lack of reliabilty. There aren't any features, but that's fine. I compared it to the original cry baby, and I don't really know why I chose this one. I just liked it better. I wish it had some other features that oculd control its tone though.

The reliabilty is it's only weakness. There are top quality input and output jacks and a rugged, die-cast zinc housing. There is also an italian-made fasel inductor. But, when I use it a lot at gigs, it doesn't always work. Sometimes there is a high pitched sort of "screaming" when the pedal is pulled up. And when pushed down, it doesn't work at all. I don't especially need the wah wah pedal for every song, so I wouldn't bring a backup. But also I can't afford two good wah wah pedals.

It is very easy to get a good pure wah tone out of this effect. It's not a complicated effect at all. Once you turn it on, then it works. This unit has not been upgraded, and it doesn't have to, it works very well. There is no manual. I don't no what editing patches are though.

ISM
    Don't listen to ppl tellin u to buy a normal cry baby; cos I hav one of those (original cry baby) and it can't handle distortion. I'm gonna get this cos I need summit that speaks with my distortion pedal/s. MVL.
    TOB00
    didnt really like this one, the base treble shift is much to tiny for good wakka wakkaing
    dumb-metal-head
    i agree with ISM, crybabys tend to be better at funk and that kinda thing, but they cant handle distortion so good, this one seems to be designed for it. its definatly going on my to buy list.
    High_o
    this is the least subtle wah ever. i dont believe its worth that much, seeing as the only expensive modification from a gcb crybaby is the fasel inductor. and yes, it omnly does metal well
    High_o
    wot do u all rekon this or the slash wah or the dimebag wah
    dimebag for metal, slash for other stuff
    will-loves-zep
    i just brought this yesterday, and i know everyone will disagree, but i think it sounds really good on clean, it's got much more of a fat sound that the other wahs i tried (i tried a lot) which i love. i think the only bad point so far is the fact that if you hit the middle two strings really hard on clean on the top position it makes a bit of a buzz. great on marshall distortion with les paul standard.