ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah review by Dunlop

Dunlop: ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah

Purchased from: Zzounds

Anything that is good enough for Zakk is good enough for me. The sound quality is amazing. My only sound complaint is the deterioration of wah tone in relation to the number of active pedals. My set-up is pretty much perfect for the metal I play, but when placed before the distortion (between amp and distortion), the wah has the tendency to act as a volume pedal as well, cutting out volume as it is set to the up position, but when placed after the distortion, the wah tone is decreased slightly, giving you less wah and more growl. But with that said, I think this thing is still SIGNIFICANTLY better than any Wah on the market. A must buy pedal...

I play mostly heavy metal, but this wah would be perfect for nearly any style of music that the "Wah sound" fits. I have been playing for 5 years (this February), and with my Marshall MG412, Crate GLX1200H, ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff, ZW-44 "Wylde Overdrive", and either my Schecter B2-FR or my Memphis LP Custom Copy, this pedal fits like it was made for my setup. My only problem is that I didn't buy this sooner. If it were ever lost or stolen, the new one would be in the mail before I even realized the other was gone. This pedal, other than the non-existent adjustment knobs, is perfect. P-E-R-F-E-C-T... perfect.

Although I have heard complaints about the cheap plastic covering for the battery, I have had no problems as of yet. I purchased the Dunlop power cable to go with the pedal, and that eliminates the problem for the battery casing. Other than that, this pedal is solid, and I mean S-O-L-I-D! Of course, this is what I have come to expect from Dunlop and their fine line of heavy duty guitar pedals. it's like a little Sherman Tank. I honestly don't feel the need for a backup pedal, though I wouldn't mind having another ZW-45 just in case.

Ease of Use? Firstly, it's a wah, very easy to use. But overall, compared to the Dime Wah from Hell and the Weeping Demon, I would far prefer the Wylde Wah. The included manual gives you all kinds of useless specifications. Unlike the Wah from Hell, the Wylde Wah has no adjustment knobs or "Q" settings. It's just a plain-old-guitar-pedal. No fancy adjustments, just a good old wah sound. (Though I wouldn't mind having a Sweep control, just to add my own twist on the wah tone)