Baby Thundaa Review

8.3
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Baby Thundaa Reviewed by: COREYTAYLOR721, on may 31, 2012

Purchased from: Pro Guitar Shop

Ease of Use: The Baby Thundaa by Wisconsin's own Dwarfcraft Devices, is one of the more usable fuzz pedals made by Aen. It has a level, tone, and distortion controls. There is also a feedback control and switch to activate the oscillation. While it is capable of some rather crazy sounds the basic setup allows a person to get a decent fuzz right away with everything at noon. I would say though, that this is not a pedal for a complete beginner because small tweaks can change the tone drastically. // 8

Sound: My setup is a Ibanez RG42FM or a PRS Custom 22 into a Vox AC15C1. The Vox is great for Doobie Brothers, Rolling Stones, and Eagles songs. I am also into bands like The Dead Weather, Black Keys, Racounteurs, Mastodon, and QOTSA. While I can get most of the sounds I need for these band with the Baby Thundaa I was more concerned about having a pedal with a distinct tone and something to experiment with. It seems like around three o'clock is pretty good for the distortion; beyond that it gets really muddy. A pedal with this much gain won't clean up, but that isn't why I bought it so we are good. This pedal is a perfect fit for stoner rock and doom genres. I know Bon Iver and many folk type bands are very into Dwarfcraft. I think the Thunder pedals sound more like a generic fuzz (alright its far from normal) than the Shiva device. Personally I like activating the tone bypass switch, it basically just takes out the tone control... Not sure why really but I will leave that up to Aen, sounds great either way. The distortion is very tight sounding, has good harmonics and it will hold a note forever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It looks strong. I have only had it for a month now. They hand build their devices and take their time making quality pedals. I have only heard a few reports of defects upon arrival. I think people should expect to get a bad apple once in a while. I know they are really good about getting their customers new ones or fixing them up if need be. It has a limited lifetime warranty. Remember though >>> 5. Your warranty is VOID if you send your pedal in covered in blood. Lol read the warranty. Its tough so don't worry. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is a good fit for me. I have been accused of being a sludge doom stoner rock guy; this pedal works for that. I would say this pedal sounds very similar to "Curl Of The Burl" distortion. Up to this point I have used few effects because I play acoustic alot and blues as well. I started playing electric guitar again and wanted a fuzz. Being from the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin I thought I would give Dwarfcraft a try. All I have heard about Aen is great, they say me is like a mad scientist. If my Baby Thundaa was stolen I would buy another one. They are sort of hard to find. The one thing that I would change is I wish it was tighter sounding with the gain around 5 o'clock to max. It is a great sounding pedal with lots of sustain. I don't know what it is comparable to except maybe a Devi Ever and I think the companies are sort of branched anyway.

// 8