The Internet Review

7.5
review (1) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
The Internet Reviewed by: mattg2123, on june 09, 2011

Purchased from: Prymyaxe

Ease of Use: The Internet is pitched as an Overdrive with excess gain on tap that pushes it into more fuzzy realms. The pedal is quite small for a twin foot Switch design, one for the first OD gain (gewgle) stage and then a second for a further gain stage (pron). It has 2 knobs to control gain (rams) and a second for volume (bandwich) and all spelling errors are intended. With minor tweaking you can dial up various tones without much fuss. There was no manual to speak of and with a few minutes of playing around you can decode the cryptically labelled controls so this poses no drama. // 9

Sound: I use a Studio Les Paul into an old Laney AOR all tube combo set for clean tones. The pedal is a analouge and true bypass. I was somewhat concerned of the lack of tone control, though this passed quickly once the controls were dialled in. The set up I have come to has both the tone and volume controls fairly low around 9 o'clock to achieve a fairly transparent, maybe slightly dark tone with a good OD feel on the first gain stage. This setting gives a decent volume bump over the clean volume and nice warm tone. When the second gain stage is kicked on the tone gets darker and the volume bump is more noticeable. There is an increase in sustain and the pedals tone is now into more of a nice biting distortion breaking through the OD. Works well as a lead channel and also can be palm muted with a nice punchy chug. There are many settings that can be obtained though this has worked the best for me with my effects chain. I explored the volume control and set on the low side you get OD and set on the higher side you get into more distortion as might be expected with analouge and guitar volume control does have some impact also. Set the gain control on the high side and you get into more fuzzy tones. The volume bump between the 2 gain stages is reduced as the overall volume is increased. The 2 controls are fairly interactive and leave a fair bit of room to play with. If both are maxed you get heaps of feedback breaking through that's relatively uncontrollable but can be worth it for the gain. Mixed with effects the pedal works well. It seems that analouge+analouge=nice tones. Using the first gain stage to push a Big Muff you get a more well defined palm mutable fuzz. I run my wha after the dirt and behaves nicely with the Vox 847 I have giving a nice tone without muddying up especially on the second gain stage. With mod effects the pedal also works well and blends nicely. I can get a nice spacey wall of sound going in conjunction with a MXR Carbon Copy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its a handmade pedal, well constructed with all jacks mounted to the enclosure and the enclosure is metal. The monster face decal looks pretty sweet with the control knobs making up the eyes. Based on its construction I don't see the unit breaking any time soon. The only thing that could be mentioned here is the one I own does not have a battery clip. This is of no consequence to me as I have it daisy chained to a Diago supply on my pedal board. This might be something to consider if you don't have a daisy chained set up, or a good reason to get a daisy chained set up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a number of different styles and genres and do not think a specific genre needs to be mentioned in the same sentence as this pedal. I guess it is not an all out high gain metal assault type of affair. Probably suits the more noisy realms though does pull off softer OD tones well and a decent heavy palm muted sound. I swapped out an old DS1 for this looking to get both OD and distortion sounds in one unit and the changeover was more than welcome. As I said earlier I am now an analouge convert and any thing analouge in my effects chain has worked a treat with the Internet. I looked into a few different OD's though did not really find anything that had the punch I was looking for. I also looked at several dirt type pedals including the Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder and the Emma PisdiYAUwot Metal Distortion Pedal and settled on the Internet as it was the best fit my end purpose; Drive the Big Muff and give OD/dirt channels in an analogue format with plenty of gain and I am not disappointed. // 9

Comments