Hummingbird review by EarthQuaker Devices

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
EarthQuaker Devices: Hummingbird

Purchased from: Small Store in Peru

This pedal has 3 knobs:

"Level" works more like a volume/booster knob than a mix knob. This is a great feauture beacuse you can set it to the same level of your signal or more if you want to use it like a booster. No volume drop problems here.
"Depth" increase the tremolo effect. You can play with this knob to get soft o hard tremolo sounds.
"Rate" sets the time of the "cuts"
"Mini Toggles" In mode 1, you can set the tremolo in the slowest rate. In mode 2, the minimun rate will be the maximun of the mode 1. And with the mode 2 in the highest rate, you will get Ring Modulator Sounds.

Really easy to use. A good choice if you are that kind of user that does not like to spend hours twerking knobs.

I play indie, rock and psychedelic music and I am that kind of man that likes when the effects are really "hard" or "depth". I mean, I do want to listen the effect in the mix or live. This pedal do it perfectly! It is really strong and chopper. The tone is not the warmest yo will hear because is not triangle wave (do not get me wrong, it is warm, but not in the classic way), this is a square wave analog trem, but you can get smooth sounds too just twerking the depth knob. Something nice about this pedal is that you can "emulate" a ring modulator with the knobs in highs rates.

It's handmade in Ohio, USA. It seems to be really sturdy and solid case. Box is 4x2 inches, like a standard handmande pedal. EarthQuaker Devices makes really good pedals, so you do not have to worry about the quality(not specially). It is always on my board. I play a lot a live gig and I never had any issues with it, and that is a lot to say because I stomp really hard. Something that happens to me with the pedals that has this kind of switches is that they get so dirt after a gig, but I think is not the pedal's fault? And about aesthetic... I think is the the most beautiful pedal I have in the board.

This pedal fits in my needs because it's choppy, aggressive, cut through the mix and does not have volume drop - Yes, forget about that volume problems everybody ever had at least once (I'm talking to you Boss TR-2). It has a "Level" Knob that is more like a Booster (a reeeeally clean boost, not like EHX LPB1. This is my main Tremolo and my favourite one. I have a Flint Strymon which I use for Classic tremolo sounds, but with Hummingbird you won't need anything else. If you need specifically the triangle wave with the classic sound, do not buy this pedal. If you are open to try a new tremolo, or if you need a really choppy hard noticeable tremolo, buy this.