Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I'm using it on a Crafter Stratocaster like guitar and on a Fender Frontman Reverb Amp, 15W. I still have to try it on a friend of mine's Marshall, but I wonder what would happen then, since it really seemed to turn my small amp into one of those hundreds-of-watts monsters. It isn't noisy at all, rather it looks like when I turn it on it cleans my amp's background noise!The sound you can get out if it is powerful and strong and you can get anything from metal like System of A Down, even choppier like Slipknot, to a chunkier one like Nirvana's. The distortion is amazing and really tweakable.

I play mainly Nirvana and Muse. This pedal is the one I was looking for all over; I was in the shop and compared it with the Boss DS-2. At first I heard the DS-2 and I said: "great!Can I try that one now please?", and when I heard IT, I kinda screamed: "this is the one for me!". I've been playing for about 1 year and this is my first pedal. I used to use my amp's distortion before, but now you can bet I'll no longer need it!If anybody stole it or I lost it I wouldn't think twice about it: either run after the guy and ram it on his balls then taking it back or buying a new one.

Despite it's about a week I have it, it looks really solid. Perhaps the button you need to push is a little weaker, but a friend of mine who has very low care of his stuff still has his own big muff working. I don't think this big bad boy would fail, and I can only tell because my friend's never has.

When you plug it in for the first time, you surely going to spend one or two hours striking on your strings and jumping all over the place. It has three knobs you can work on: (1)Volume control, (2)Sustain and (3)Tone. You need to hit some kind of button to turn it on rather than a pedal. I would prefer the classical kind of switch for it (that is the pedal) but the button, yet a little uncomfortable, still works. It needs to be fed with a 9V battery, that in my case was included in the pack; hopefully in yours too.