Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I'm using with a MIM Tele through a Vox AD50VT. This allows for a little extra tweaking with all the settings on the Vox. I tend to use the pedal with the Fender and Vox style amp models. It gets mildy noisy, but not unbearable; it is a fuzz pedal after all. You can get a nice Dinosaur Jr. sound easily out of this. Smashing Pumpkins too. I'm still figuring out how it is for soloing by itself. It's pretty nice for rhythm though. One thing that is kind of wierd is the dynamics of the sound. It's hard to describe. Doesn't palm mute very well. It's not bad, I actually like the uniqueness of it, but heavy palm muters should avoid this pedal.

This pedal is really nice to get a certain kind of sound. I play indie rock and I like to get a nice wall of noise, which this pedal lends itself to. I would say that you should try this pedal out before you buy, just so you know exactly what you are getting. I think some people might not like it, but it's perfect for other people.

From what I can tell, it's built very sturdy. The casing is all metal. It's not a Boss, but it's also not some crappy plastic thing. On eBay they have plenty of them from the '70s that are all scratched up, but still working fine, so that seems to be a good indication of its reliability.

I think the fact that the manual is one tiny piece of paper speaks for itself. 3 knobs: volume, tone, and sustain (fuzz). One thing I don't like about it is that the tone knob is fairly unresponsive. It goes from bassy to trebly quite quickly, with a fairly small middle ground. I have found a few nice sounds regardless.