Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I use this mainly with my les paul. If you get it up high enough it will get pretty loud. At first I thought it was kind of weak, but only because I was not used to fuzz. It has great tone. The band Wolfmother inspired me to buy this pedal and that is what I use it for mostly. I also use it for some early Zeppelin, Sabbath, and of course the creator of fuzz, Jimi Hendrix. I like the sustain setting allowing me to hold chords. I love how it does not get too saturated if you get it up high.

I play classic rock mostly and this is a great match for that stuff. I have been playing for about 3 years. Other pedals I have are Boss blues driver, Boss phase shifter, DigiTech Whammy, Vox wah. I would buy another one if something happened to the one I have now. My favorite feature would have to be the sustain. When I was in Guitar Center, it was between this, or the Seymour Duncan tweak fuzz. The Duncan was cool, but you just can't beat that classic tone of Big Muff. I also compard this to the Big double muff. I did not like that at all because in the long run, probably would have ended up using only one of them, and it gave me too much saturation. So I chose this Big Muff.

Very dependable. Would never consider a back up. I have had it for almost a month, and the battery doesn't even look like it lost any juice.

This is an awesome sounding fuzz box. It is fairly simple to get a great tone, but with every different pedal, you have to "test" it out and see how it works for you and how to get the sound you want. I didn't find a manual with mine. With other pedals I have bought it gave you setting pictures for different sound that you could get and I like that, but I didn't get that with this pedal. But it didn't take me long to figure out how I wanted this thing to sound like it does.