Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I play guitar and bass and use this pedal for both instruments. For guitar I plug a hot rodded mexi strat into the Big Muff, from the Big Muff I plug into an epi valve jr. this setup can give me some thick creamy tones similar to hendrix, but with the tone turned all the way up it can get too trebly and actually annoying. I have a Cort B5 and plug that into the Big Muff then into a GK BC115 combo. I can get some smooth Muse like tones. When used for bass, the treble really cuts through the mix. Although a great sounding fuzz pedal, fuzz doesnt't usually fit into many genres so it isn't very versatile.

I dabble in everything from punk to funk to screamo and hardcore to ska and some folk. The big muff suits punk and some ska but that's about it. if your going for a nice tube fuzz then this is great. But for other things, it's not all too versatile. if it were stolen, I'd probably be angry for a while then go buy a bassballs pedal. I've been liking those more and more lately. I have the American one and I like it. I haven't had much experience with the Russian version but I do know that the output and input jacks are reversed on the Russian one and I believe that the russian doesnt't have true bypass.

The Big Muff is pretty light, like various other e-h pedals it has a very thin shell that doesnt't't seem to strong but so far has held up really well. The decal on the top looks good but comes off very easily, you could probably scrape it off with your nail, but when some comes off it has a cool "Vintage" vibe to it. I can depend on it but I would bring extra batteries because I don't have enough pedals to make a daisy chain worthwile. But it does have an ac jack for those Who do want to be free of batteries.

The Big Muff Pi is a pretty straight-forward guitar pedal. With volume, sustain, and tone you can get some good distortions for bass and guitar. Mine didn't include a manual, so I don't know if they don't come with them or mine was just forgotten, but even without the manual it's pretty simple to manipulate.