Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: Elderly Music

I've played it through a Peavy Transtube amp but I own a Marshall MG 100 half stack. Sounded the same out of either. I have many guitars but I've currently only played my FenderTelecaster and 99' Epiphone LP Junior P-90 through it. With the P-90 it has some noise when the Sustain is up real high, but nothing annoying. It's a great sounding pedal I haven't had a problem with it. I can get a great Smashing Pumpkins tone out of it, any of their heavy songs from Siva to Everlasting Gaze. I can also get good Classic Rock tones like AC/DC and Zeppelin if I turn the Sustain down. As well as Grunge, I can get some nice feedback, I can control the feedback, I guess you'd say. And the tone knob really gives you a nice range of tones. Very well done, Electro-Harmonix. Just what I was looking for.

I play anything from Ska to Blues to Metal, and much in between, this pedal suits my Smashing Pumpkins fix easily. I've been playing for a year and a half, and I play in a ska band and my own alternative/Grunge band. I compared it with the Double Muff, and this one was the better buy in my eyes. if it were stolen I'd rebuy it in a heartbeat. I love everything about this pedal, it's heavy, it's grungey, it's fuzzy, it just kicks the pants off anyone listening. I like how big the pedal is too, good to kind of make jokes about. But overall a great buy, I'm completely satisfied with buying this, no regrets.

I can depend on this, I'd gig with it but then again I'd have my other "Crossroads" pedal anyways, in case if it gave out. But I think it'd hold up well. also stays in place, and doesn't slide around much. Good stuff. Rather big though, not a bad thing, actually makes it easier to see and press.

This is a very easy to use pedal. Just three knobs: Volume, Tone, Sustain. Directions are helpful, but if you've owned any pedal before it should be second nature. the more you turn the tone knob, the more trebley it gets, the more you turn the sustain the more gain. Overall very easy to use.

Nightfyre
    just how heavy can this stompbox get? any good for metal? i'm not talking death metal or anything, but could it concievably play metal or should i stick to rock-type stuff with this?
    Ian_Hendrix
    you can palm mute. just move your hand up a bit from the bridge. doesnt sound the best but you still can.
    LD1992
    THE PEDAL WAS USED BY HENDRIX!!!! ELECTRO HARMONIX GOT HENDRIX TO TEST THE PEDAL BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, IN FACT HE SAID THAT HE WOULD USE IT ON HIS NEXT ALBUM, UNFORTNUATLY HE DIED BEFORE THE ALBUM WAS RELEASED.
    SG_LOVER
    You have to reposition your hand on the bridge, but you can still palm mute. (you sacrifice a bit of your tone though...)
    Pingis_Or_Death
    I'm probably gonna get one of these coupled with a laney combo tube amp, 15 watts but kinda lacking in gain...Would I get good metal tones out of it that way?
    Kai07
    What about the black one? x.x;; I was browsing through Guitar-Center.com and theres this silvery ish one, and a black one too =/
    A Poe
    I have purchased the big muff pie and i must say this thing is glorious. A classic distortion/fuzz/sustainer that pushes my marshall half stack to its fullest. It can be low and beefy or high and fuzzy. Its not the best for palm muting but believe me this thing rocks your socks off. Also this pedal amazingly doesnt drain the 9 volt battery.
    Ian_Hendrix
    I Love My Big Muff! If somebody stole mine I would eat their heart, than I would take my Big Muff back. I have a crap SX guitar and a line 6 amp, but this thing still sounds amazing!
    Heff_2404
    Can anyone suggest settings that would give a Gilmour-ish sound? Using a standard Mexican Strat. Thanks
    A Poe
    Has anyone played the Little Big Muff Version. If so how do they compare
    Heff_2404
    Can anyone suggest settings for a Gilmour-ish sound? Using a Mexican Standard Strat. Thanks
    towser31
    This pedal is great for blues, rock, hard rock anything. With may CryBaby it gives me a great Iggy and The Stooges tone. I use for The Who, Clapton, Stooges, Pink Floyd, anything. Great with a hot rod deville (large blues junior more or less).