Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I use an Epiphone G-400 SG with Seymour Duncan (JB-4 Bridge, Jazz model neck) pickups, and an Ibanez RG series through a Marshall MG100DFX Head through Marshall MG412 Cabinet. It is not my most used of all of my pedals but when I do use it, I use it to be loud! It sounds great for soloing or when you just want an extra boost. It sounds pretty good for "The Fall Of Troy", which was the main reason why I got this pedal because Thomas Erak uses a similar model to mine.

I play mostly metal/rock style songs, this pedal is a perfect match. I have been playing for about a year now so I am still looking for new pedals that float my boat, so if this was broken or stolen I would just buy a different pedal to experiment with. I wish I would have asked if there was an instruction manual or something to help me with the sound. I wish this pedal had more tone control knobs so I could shape the sound more. And it would be a lot nicer if it had an ac adapter instead of using 9 volts which are super expensive.

I can always rely on this pedal. I mean come on this thing is in complete metal casing. It is pretty much impossible to break this thing on accident. But there is one flaw, the little LED light thingy is not the strongest. I had it on a small table in my practice area and it fell off of the table. I thought nothing of it until I looked at the LED light and it fell back into the pedal. This in no way affected the sound of this pedal it is just another minor inconvenience. You just will have to play with it to see if it is on or off. But otherwise this pedal is pretty strong.

I have heard from some people that this pedal is not worth it, but when I tried it out it sounds fine.I personally like the sound of this pedal. I use the Muff for an overdrive/booster/sustainer pedal. The only thing I don't like about this pedal is it didn't come with an instruction manual. The use of this pedal is pretty simple after you play with it for a while. There is only 3 knobs so it's not that hard to figure out how the sound works.

Tele Echoes
    I heard Hendrix did get to test it, loved it, and wanted to use it on what would have undoubtedly been a grand album. BTW Dave Gilmour used a Fuzz Face until WYWH, then went to the American Muff, thenSoviet before or following the Wall era. Ithink he uses different models every few years, or maybe he's found the sound he desires.