Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I'm using an Epiphone Goth Les Paul (meh) into this into a Raven 20-watt practice amp. A pretty lame setup, but I'm poor. Anyway, i get a great fuzzy distortion out of this box. I have the tone at 2 o'clock and the sustain maxed, but sometimes vary up the sustain to not have so much insanity. With the tone on and the wicker off, it is you basic big muff and doesn't hum very much. With the wicker flipped on, there is more treble and it bites harder. It also fizzes when you aren't playing, which can be annoying. When the tone is flipped off, it gets really loud and sound big. I love the abrasive sound i get from this and use the wicker as a boost for solos. The only improvement I would personally want is more feedback, but most people hate it, so take that for what you want. This is a fuzz pedal, so you can get Hendrix-like tones, but I think it's great for Grunge, smashing pumpkins, and nine inch nailsy sounds. Not really good for metal, which i don't really care for. If you want metal, get the Metal Muff.

The Big Muff is one of the most famous effect pedals ever. This new version delivers the same basic tone with a few extra controls. However, if they were in stock at the time I bought this, I would have bought a Devi Ever fuzz pedal. If you like fuzz, then I guarantee you will find one you like on the website (deviever.com). The samples sound amazing and I would be regretting not buying one if the Big Muff wasn't great, but it gives a great sound and suit's my purposes. I recommend this pedal in favor of the regular Big Muff, simply for the extra controls, but I highly recommend looking at Devi Ever and making the choice for yourself.

This lives up to the stomp-box name. It's made out of metal and very well put together. I've stomped on this thing and it works as perfect as the day I got it. I would definitely gig without a backup (assuming I could get backups whenever I wanted). This thing is solidly built.

The Big Muff with Tone Wicker is really just the standard NYC version of the Big Muff with two upgrades. There are the three standard knobs, and then the two switches. The first knob is volume. Then, the tone knob which has a wide range from boomy, undefined mud to thin and biting. And the last knob is called sustain; this controls the amount of distortion and how long a note will hold. When sustain is dimed, you will have a note sustain for minutes. Then there are the two switches. The first one is the tone Switch, which is a bypass for the tone knob. When engaged, the tone functions normally, but when off, it turns off the tone knob and gives a huge sound which causes an increase in volume. The second Switch is the wicker, which opens up three high-frequency filters to give a more biting treble. Pretty easy to figure out on your own how stuff works.

boyblue
    wah wah jimi wah wah did wah wah didn't who cares! grow some balls and turn your muff to 10
    gerrywm
    I have one and love it...until!. I bought a Laney GH50 single channel valve head and I cant get the two of them to work together. Both sound unreal seperatly but I had drop my beloved muff from my pedal board...A sad occasion
    The_lizard_king
    Out of my very small and limited rig, The Big Muff Pi is probably the best and favorite pedal in there. I can't play "Sunshine of your Love" it just sounds too good.