Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Price paid: A$ 159

My current set up for home practices are my hot rodded american strat (soon to be un-hot rodded). Strat to muff, muff to Boss od-3, od-3 to crybaby, crybaby to reverb pedal and then to my Fender frontman 15w amp. For when playing with my band it is the same except the frontman is replaced with a '59 bassman. It sounds amazing and actually for some reason reduces noise on my pedal board. I play pretty much everything from blues to metal (nothing really heavier than Metallica and Iron Maiden) and this pedal does it all. Depending on the song I will use this as either lead tones or rhythm. My usual setting is volume:12 0'clock, sustain: 3 o'clock, tone: 2 o'clock. This gives you what I call "perfect fuzz". Because on this setting you can do the hendrix funk fuzz, Muse style fuzz and my favourite, the same tone as dave gilmour in the solo from another brick in the wall pt. 2. And for the first time (after three other fuzz pedals, which admittedly were cheapo) I have a fuzz which plays nicely with wah.

My band is pretty eclectic in what we play. Mix between blues, funk, rock and alternative. I am a pedal junkie, which has only been a development in the last year or so. I have played guitar solidly for the last 5 years and in my early adolescent years on and off (so about 7 all up) I'm now 18 and this is the newest edition to my collection. I have a Fender american standard strat and a Fender acoustic/electric as well as a Fender frontman amp and a Fender bassman amp (yeah I'm a bit of a Fender junkie, although I do love gibsons and marshalls, I just don't have the dough to get them, not that I'm unhappy with my gear). If it were lost or stolen I would want to replace it immediately, if not with a big muff, then a z-vex Fuzz Factory. But would deffinately be getting a muff. Before buying this pedal I compared it to a Boss and an MXR, and this one jsut blew me away. My only wish is that it had an adaptor jack. But plain and simple... I luff my muff.

I have the russian model, which I felt was a bit sturdier than the us version, and yeah I know it isnt the 'Original fuzz' but hell, on the day I liked the sound more. I would use it at a gig without backup, mainly because I have built my own pedal board/case, which will take drops well. My only qualm is the lack of power jack for an adaptor. But when the warantee is voided in a year, I will put one in myself. But overall I think this is a fairly dependable pedal.

this muff pedal is easy as pi (excuse the pun). Three knobs and a switch which ultimately make wonderful fart noises. I joke. There is a footswtich to turn the effect on and off, a knob for volume (and for you Boss users out there like myself, this pedal has great volume control in comparison to other distortion pedals, with the exception of the tube Screamer). The sustain knob controls how much distortion you get and the tone knob alters the sharpness of the sound. I play it safe for home practice and have the volume at 12 o'clock, which is about even with my amplifiers clean channel.

fuzzrules
    soundgarden1986
    fuzzrules wrote: This is without a doubt the best thing I've ever bought it has an AMAZING tone for both bass and guitar.Its great for Doom/Stoner Metal and 60s Psychedelic Rock
    True that man. I got some really nice Josh Homme type tones out of this thing with a Telecaster. Love this pedal