Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: C.V. Lloyd Music

I use it with my Vox AD100XL usually, but I also use it with my little AC4TV. I run my Epi super-modded Les Paul Studio and a Gibson Flying V through it. Always sounds good, even when the battery is dying. It is quite noisy when the sustain is up all the way and I'm not playing. But if I'm not playing, something is VERY wrong... I can get a whole s**t ton of sounds out of this box, and they all are great. The thing about BMP's is that you kinda have to shop around for a REALLY good one. Sometimes a lemon gets through, but when you find a good one, you'll be hooked!

I play mostly hard rock, but I also do classic rock, alternative, metal, and the like. Not really big on pop, and besides, most pop music can't appreciate the beastliness of a Big Muff. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I've got a pedal drawer already (yep, I'm a gearw***e). I have my fair share of fuzzes and distortions, and I still love this thing. It was one of my first pedals, and it still gets used regularly. I'd just get another one if it were stolen. The thing is, just about everyone has a Big Muff, so no need to worry about it! I love the gigantic fuzzzz it has. I HATE the noise, and how big it is sometimes. But the size is a statement. It's like saying "hey, f*** you Boss, DigiTech, MXR, etc! I don't need a compact fairy pedal! I've GOT A FREAKING TANK!" My favorite feature is the distortion/fuzz it has. Nothing comes close. I compared it to a Behringer Vintage Overdrive, my Fuzzface, Boss Fuzz, and this weird ass fuzz my buddy has (can't remember the brand). This thing has it's own flavor, but I really like it over the other pedals I tired. It just sounds... BIGGER than the rest. WALL OF SOUND big. I likes that. The only thing I wish it had was a normal 9v input and charger. That's it.

Half metal, half plastic. Sturdy plastic though, because I'm a rather large fellow and I stop the shit outta my pedals. This thing will last quite a while. I'd have to have a backup... Just because it's never smart to not have one. Especially when the pedal is only $70. 8 for the plastic though...

It's a Big Muff... you've got volume, tone, and sustain (distortion/fuzz). Pretty self explanatory. My only qualm is that it's got the stupid pin power supply, so mine runs on batteries. That's it though. Great pedal, easy to use, easy to mod, but sounds and performs great stock!