Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

I have a Telecaster going into an Epiphone Valve Junior stack. I had a Boss Ds-1 in this, but I wanted a different sound, so I went to Electro-Harmonix. The Russian Muff has a different tone than the normal Big Muff Pi. It's tough for me to describe exactly what the difference is. As soon as I plugged the pedal into my setup, I could get the tones for The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin and Guess Who. This pedal has a great fuzzy Overdrive in the middle gain levels, but cranked up, you can get some aggressive distortion. The pedal is sort of quiet, so you have to turn the volume up a little higher than other pedals, not a problem. The tone knob gives you many different options for sounds ranging from very rolled-off to very focussed trebly sounds. This is a very nice sounding pedal in my opinion.

I play alternative/metal, and this pedal works very well for me. If I lost this pedal or it was stolen, I would definitely get another or look at the normal Big Muff Pi. Both pedals are great. Look at both Big Muff Pi or Little Big Muff and the Russian Muff pedals to compare them.

I haven't had any issues with this pedal so far. The only issue I can see would be that this doesn't have a power plug in. You have to either use 9 volt battery or find an adapter.

This pedal is an extremely simple pedal to use. Volume. Sustain (Gain). Tone. Not a lot to complicate. You can get a great sound with the knobs in any place.