Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

My setup isn't great, probably because I spend too much money on pedals rather than save up and buy a new guitar. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II through a Fender frontman 65r. It can sometimes get really muddy and notes become harder to recognize the futher up you crank the sustain but no real feedback. The knobs give some great sounds, but the sweet spots arewith the tone knob somewhere between 9 and 3 o'clock and sustain between 2 and 4. With the tone anywhere above 3 it starts to get wayyy too trebly and way too bassy before 9. And as I said before the sustain gets really muddy if put up too high. To clarify any confusion Jimi Hendrix DID help develop this pedal adn DID want to use it on a new record before he died. I believe that pink floyd also used either this or the russian version and also nirvana used it for several of its songs Electro-Harmonix don't call this a fuzz pedal, although they should. They call it a distortion/sustain pedal. Everyone knows that it has some of the best fuzz sounds achievable.

I usually play most hard rock, like qotsa, wolfmother, nirvana, RATM and also some foo fighters. This pedal is a good suit for all of those. I have been playing for about 4 or 5 years and I must say this is one of the best sounding fuzz pedals I have ever come across. It I lost it or it was stolen I would hunt the man down who took it and rape him and his family. If I did lose it though I would probably buy the Big Muff Pi with tone wicker or the Little Big Muff pi as this one is massive.

I would depend on this pedal easily, I would definately use this without a backup. Although it is in a but sturdy feeling metal casing if you have seen pics of the inside you would know that you shouldn't be jumping on it as it is just a thin piece of circut board between the casing. Not as sturdy or tough as a Boss pedal but still tough none-the-less.

Ok, so I literally got this pedal yesterday, and it is fantasitc! It is very easy to use it should've come in a box etc but it was their last one so it was heavily discounted. It has three knobs and a button, volume, tone and sustain. Obviously because it doesn't have a true bypass you should probably take out the input jack when it's not in use to stop battery drainage.