Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: GAK

I play all types of rock / alt.rock / blues and metal. I bought this pedal in the first place to achieve the Jack White tone through my Marshall JTM45 Bluesbreaker and my Cornell Romany Pro and boy do I get it! It achieves that simple, raw fuzz of Jack White but keeping that real Hendrix vibe. Any fuzz or distortion is possible with this pedal with a bit of tweeking. I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom or my Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster and it also sounds good with my Gibson ES-335 and my good old 60's Danelectro U2! I can really get that pure, rawnchy distortion but then turn the sustain to 9 and you're in the realms of Hendrix! I play all types of music but mainly White Stripes / Led Zeppelin and lots of early Kings of Leon type music and of course Hendrix- it handles most of it well (with a humbucker).

I bought this aiming for both White Stripes and Led Zep type tones and I got what I wanted and more! I run a load of guitars and amps with my other pedals (Menatone Blue Collar OD, EHX Double Muff, 5 Danelectro pedals, JamMan stereo looper, Nobels OD, Boss RV-3) and tip for any people with some cash in their hands, the EHX Double Muff works a dream with the Big Muff Pi! Buy it! Icky Thump!

it is quite flimsy and the paint scratches easily but personally I like that edgy feel and I think the scratches look good! It feels like it will break any second and its massive but its worth the money!

As with all EHX it is simple and it is hard to get a bad sound out of it! The three knobs for sustain, level and tone are simple but effective. I would give it a 10 but the sustain knob is not very responsive. Overall, very simple!