Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: Amazon

I bought this pedal after listening to "Superfuzz Bigmuff" by Mudhoney. And you can get a close sound without too much effort. But you can also get your own sound by fiddling with the effects a bit. You will be impressed with this pedals sound if you're a fuzz-head. If you're a metal-head. A Boss Metal Zone may be a better pedal for you. However, for me, this pedal is the best Fuzzbox in existence.

I'm a fuzz addict, despite this pedal's problems, I can't get rid of it. It's such an amazing fuzz sound. It's reasonably well priced, despite the housing being filled mostly by air. And the power supply being completely different to my other pedals, so I can't plug it into my pedal board. If you can overlook the flaws, this is a great sounding pedal. However if I had known what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it. I would've bought a Little Big Muff.

This is where the Big Muff let's the side down. It feels like it is built out of recycled tin cans. I'm scared to use my foot for fear it will go through the casing. I've also found that when I switch it on, the volume drops. To fix this I have to tap it, which doesn't look good in a live situation. As a result for a gig, I have to get in another guitarist to play clean parts. The Big Muff will only work if left switched on. As a result of these problems I would suggest you buy a Little Big Muff, or a Big Muff with Tone Wicker.

There is a footswitch a 3 knobs, fairly simple. 3 knobs may not sound like much but it's all you need on this pedal. You can put a battery in it which will last a fair few hours without loosing volume or drive. You could gig with this pedal in confidence the battery wouldn't die. I have noticed that at bedroom levels, the tone needs to be set a bit higher than at gig levels to get the same sound. Other than that, pretty easy to use.