Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Mine is a modern NYC reissue. This pedal sounds great with either my strat or my les paul. Vintage fuzz or heavy stoner rock sounds are available to squeeze from this box. It has to be said, this pedal does the heavier stuff more easily than the softer rock, but its by no means a one trick pony. Very versatile and not a lot of noise is given out, even with higher gain settings.

This pedal does exactly what you would expect. Straight up, gritty fuzz. A brilliant buy, and sounds gorgeous pushed through my friend's Fender HOT Rod. I play this through a HH IC-100 amp, but it sounds just as good. I compared this to a Boss FZ-5 (can't remember the exact name, but it has 3 different fuzzes modelled) and a Fuzz Face. The Fuzz Face was too much and I wasn't keen on the Boss's tones. After playing this at my local music store, I took it home the same day and haven't looked back since. A quality pedal in my eyes.

This pedal is built like a tank with metal all around. The knobs are stiff, it feels robust and even looks like it could take a beating. I would gladly gig this without a backup. The inputs feel solid and the casing doesn't bend at all. Despite dropping it down the stairs just about a week after purchase, this is still working perfectly.

Just three knobs to this pedal. "Volume", which speaks for itself. "Tone", which allows you to choose a bassy or a sound with more treble. Finally, a knob labeled "Sustain" which is really the gain knob. Overall, very simple to use and easy to dial in sounds.