Big Muff Pi review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi

My set is like this, Telecaster > Cry-Baby Wah > Big Muff > BD-2 > Memry Boy > Marshall B-25. The amp is a really for bass, but I find amusing the sound of it, I have tried the muff with a Fender Blues Jr. And sounds great, also through a Fender Mustang III and it wasn't that great. The current settings I usually use for the Muff are the volume between 1 - 2 o clock, the tone in the same range but a tweek it back and forth from 11 o'clock to 2 o clock, depending in the sound I want I that moment, the sustain I usually put it on 12 o clock or 3 o clock, I don't go much further, my muff usually gets really noisy at the top. Well this is the NYC "reissue", I play blues, classic rock, Grunge and stoner rock, it really nails it. It goes well for some modern floyd era, you can't get with this a Hendrix tone, but you can have really nice sounding fuzz that sound well on some Hendrix tunes, but for the majority of the Hendrix sound you should really turn down the sustain. One thing I love of this pedal is the harmonics that can be heard are just awesome, you can hear the sweet octave after some vibrato, it's really great, it's not the rams head, it's the "reissue" which is a reimagination of the bug muff sound, and it's great, and as the name states it's really big.

I have been playing the guitar like 7 years now I think, I play a lot of Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, I'm not a metal head, but a really don't think this pedal is made for it, the palm muting don't sound right, or what you would expect for that classic metal sound, maybe the metal muff do the trick, but these is for a raw Grunge distortion, modern rock, and some classic rock stuff. This is a unique pedal, that have a particular sound, very aggressive, a lot of personality, and awesome sound, if it were stole or I lose it I could buy it again, but maybe I'll buy the Muff with Tone Wicker, or a Fuzz Face, or the MXR Fuzz, but I think it's always a good idea to have a Muff in your rig. I would like this pedal to have a standard 9v adapter input like most pedals do, but hell with it, it's also good to hear a starving fuzz.

I have it on my pedalboard to play, I have taken it to gigs and haven't given me any troubles, it runs with an special 9v eliminator, which is kind a let down, cause it's hard to find in stores, specially in Mexico, but I run it with a 9v battery, mine still have the Mike Matthews battery that comes with it, it's still running after a couple months of use. The case is a mix of metal and plastic, which feels a little bit cheap, not like the Boss pedals, or other EHX products, well it's a stomp box and it's seem it could handle a little abuse, but I would avoid every chance to dropping it from a third floor. I'll give it seven cause the case, cause for gigs is really reliable.

Right out of the box it comes with a bubble wrap, a catalog for other EHX products, the warranty & registration card and a somewhat manual, which doesn't say much, but to be fair is not really that needed, this pedal is a no brainer with three knobs; volume, tone and sustain; which I consider pretty self explanatory, is a matter of minutes to find a sound you could like, it goes from a really crunchy Overdrive to a really heavy fuzzy distortion, it's pretty raw, the tone control can take you from a really ballsy bass to a really ice piercing trebles, personally I use in the middle of both, but that's the way I liket. Overall it's a three knob pedal, if you have use one of those, like boss (DS-1, OD-2, BD-2), Ibanez (TS9), Proco Rat, etc, you'll find these really easy to use.