Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker

This new edition keeps the classic sound that can be found in the regular Big Muff Pi but adds some options that allow some additional tweak-ability and tonal options. Personally as a guitarist and musician, I love all my gear to be versatile and this big muff allows more versatility than the standard so I naturally gravitated towards it. The tone knob is very responsive in cutting or adding bass/more treble depending on which way you turn the knob and the sustain knob allows you to pour on more creamy sustain and distortion or roll it back for more subtly. Now, the Wicker switch is the main item it advertises but I do not find it very usable as it makes the sound to my ears much too icepick like and harsh for my uses, your needs may be different but it definitely works and adds more treble presence in the signal chain. The tone switch on the other hand, is VERY useful. When you bypass the tone knob via flipping the switch off, it transforms this pedal into a beast! The sound becomes full without sacrificing highs, like most fuzz pedals (EHX ones atleast). Simple tweaking of the sustain knob and you have a creamy, lush sounding fuzz that maintains it's thump and it's clarity. Simply brilliant.

It's got your Big Muff Pi sounds as well as something more, which was the selling point for me. I'm not the biggest fuzz user so I'm sure other boutique fuzzes (Zvex, Black Arts, etc.) might be better suited to the hardcore fuzz aficionado, but for me, it meets and exceeds my needs without breaking the bank. I suggest if you have the extra money and were looking at a Big Muff Pi to possibly opt to go ahead and upgrade just to have the extra options in case one day you need to use them. Versatility is never a bad thing and this pedal sounds great!

Surrounded safely in a metal case, EHX always has produced sturdy equipment in my opinion. The switches are metal and mounted in the case very well and the knobs are nice and firm. I really never have to worry about my stompboxes getting abused as I try to maintain and take care of my equipment as well as possible, but if by chance a truck ran it over, I'm sure I could still gig with it, no problem! Might even make it look cooler! Haha.

The Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker is a new take on the Big Muff Pi offering a few more tone variety options while offering that same classic Muff sound. It has three knobs and two independent switches. The top left is the Volume knob which controls the output, the middle is the Tone knob which effects the sharpness/treble or roundness/bassyness and the last knob is the Sustain knob that effects how gritty and distorted the sound becomes and obviously how much sustain the plucked notes will have. The two switches can be found directly under the three knobs. The first one is the Tone switch which allows you to bypass the Tone knob and gives you a wide open, full sound with a good mix of all the frequencies. The second is the Wicker switch, while activated, a very noticeable treble boost is added to the sound.

rephlica
    yup turning the tone switch off made the sound heavier/fuller. A nice fuzz for the price.