Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker

I use this guy with my Les Paul only, on my Explorer the pickups are too Hot for it to sound good it gets a little too ice Pick sounding. Which brings me to the fact that for really high output pickups you might find it a little noisy for your liking, generally only on higher sustain settings. Controls for Sustain, Tone and Volume. Its pretty obvious what each one does in this case. There is also a Tone switch which allows you to bypass the tone knob completely this will also make your volume jump drastically. The Wicker switch adds some high end bite to the distortion to make it a little more new age fizzy sounding if that makes sense. I say new age as in like newer metal and stuff where it bites more then it chunks! Purchased this pedal for playing White Stripes, really no other reason. Jack White uses a regular old Big Muff and I opted for this pedal to give me more flexibility if I wanted to use it elsewhere. Wicker Off, Tone On, Volume around Noon, Tone around Noon and Sustain around 1pm gets me sounding close to Jack, could probably dial it in better but I am lazy. This pedal sounds great but its pretty much a one trick pony which is OK since its a relatively low priced dirt box. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for some searing distortion, but stay away if you looking for a flexible pedal.

I like it, or else I would have sold it like all the other pedals that don't end up meeting my standards. As mentioned I use this mainly for white stripes so its a little biased on how it sounds! I do use it for playing some Black Sabbath too cause it gets nice and raunchy. If it was stolen or lost I would probably replace it with just a regular muff, I do like the added feature of the the Tone and Wicker; however I don't find myself using them that much. Save the extra bucks for another pedal! I don't think the muff compares to many other pedals, people might compare it to other three knob fuzz pedals but I find the effect out of the muff isn't just fuzz it really adds a lot of sustain to notes to, add a little Vibrato to a note with the sustain cranked and you can keep it going for a Long time. Standard Muff power in a smaller box with a couple new features but still pretty much just a one trick pony. If your looking for a affordable pedal or to nail some Jack White tones the muff should be on your list.

Solid Metal case makes it pretty durable, its got the traditional latching stomp switch that you see all over the place no concerns of it breaking. The little switches for the Tone and Wicker concern me they are small and stick up a good way, I figure if I am going to damage the pedal it will probably be from stomping on it and catching one of these switches in the process. That being said I would certainly gig it without a backup its a solid sealed pedal that can certainly take some abuse. Little concerned with the toggle switches getting busted in a stomp which would probably be easily fixable but still a pain in the butt.

Three knobs and two switches, pretty much your standard for a fuzz pedal these days. Sounds great all over the place, I purchase this one because you can get classic muff tones out of it and then more, for the extra $15 its worth it. No Patches or Firmware. Manual was useless, the only thing it did for me was enlighten me to the fact the Big Muff is supposed to be a simulator for your guitar, I guess that's why its got singing sustain. Very basic setup, common among a lot of pedals, its easy to get a good sound out of but also its nothing really above the normal.

vanesishe
    I was able to achieve the desired sound only with overdrive(Hardwire CM-2) before the fuzz. Good pedal for the doom/stoner.
    rephlica
    Full sustain could be muddy for this one. I use a mxr doubleshot distortion along with this one to adjust the bass mid treble and gain and set the big muff tw sustain on a 12'oclock-2'oclock dial.
    dave.coleman.54
    I always go for versatility personally. This has the classic muff sound plus extras, just what I want! Highly recommended