Double Muff review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: Double Muff

Purchased from: Belle Air Music

Up until recently I had been using a Roland 20x Cube with a Mexican Telecaster with this pedal. While it had been awesome for a fuzz pedal on Muff 2, Muff 1 never sounded that great on the solid state, and I never truly got the pedal I wanted. That was up until I got my Blues Jr. This pedal sounds incredible if you have the right amp. If you're looking for a Overdrive pedal for a solid state, I'm not too sure about this. You'll have to try it with a amp similar to your own before deciding to purchase it. The Overdrive is as weak or as strong as you want it to be with Muff 1 having the option of how much Overdrive you want to milk'er with. The cool thing about the Double Muff is that you don't just get an Overdrive pedal, but you also get a great fuzz pedal to use as well. When in the 2nd Muff mode, the 1st Muff Drive knob becomes a volume knob, while the second knob (only activates when in 2nd Muff mode) adjusts how much fuzz you want to pour out over you strings. Muff 1 has been very good for playing stuff like Eric Clapton, The Beatles, and Joe Walsh (I say that because while I like "Hotel California", I hate The Eagles). The 2nd muff is okay for getting sounds like Cream Clapton and maybe even a bit of SRV. However, the main reason I wanted this pedal was for more Pink Floyd and Hendrix. It's not the pedals fault it doesn't meet the expectations I wanted it to, since I knew beforehand that Hendrix used a Fuzz Face, while Gilmour used both Fuzz Face and Big Muff pedals. It would have been cool if their had been a 3rd knob for sustain when in Muff 2. It's great for Muff 2 on solid state, but it sucks for Muff 1. It's great for Muff 1 on a tube amp, and it's great for Muff 2 as well.

I play the rock & roll with this pedal and it suits me fine. I've been playing for over 4 years now and am very dedicated to my craft and am very picky about the product I use and can be very critical of something if I feel it isn't perfect. If it were stolen, I would probably just get a Fuzz Face and get it modified to the old school hilt, or the same for the Big Muff to sound like it's early '70s models. I love the single muff sound when it's playing through a tube. I hate the single muff through a solid state, as well as how easily the writing and design scratches and wears off. It's better than having a DigiTech distortion or a Dan Electro (the two other ones I've had in the past. I got them when I started. I was young and stupid). One thing I regret asking was how much it would cost to get a Big Muff. I chose this pedal because it was very affordable and I've always felt that Electro Harmonix makes great sounding pedals. I wish it had a sustain knob for the double muff fuzz. I also wish there was a foot switch to toggle between single and double muff. It's good and I would recommend you get it if you have a tube amp and desire a great sounding overdrive, and could use a decent fuzz pedal free of charge.

While the battery life is great and the pedal has never ceased to be functional while there is juice in it, the pedal lacks cosmetic durability. I managed to put scratches over the design without even noticing that I was doing so. Out of boredom, I scratched my initials into it without applying for pressure to my finger nail than I would while moving a mouse along it's mouse pad. The box is strong though. Do yourself a favour and remember what the labels under the knobs and Switch say, before they wear off.

I bought this pedal just before summer (manual included, by the way) of this year and it has always been great. However, after getting my first tube amp I was really amazed by how great the standard Drive 1 sounded. It's comsmetic design is as equally simply and appealing as it's sound. There are 2 control knobs, the stomp button, and a switch between Muff 1 and Muff 2. The only thing that bothered me was that when it came time to replace the battery, it was a real bother to find a screw driver small enough to open it up. Now I just keep it undone a little bit.

Pedro O'Mally
    this pedal sounds really good with a guitar that has single-coil pickups, i never use it with my humbucker guitars
    bluesbarker
    I have this pedal for a few weeks and has numbers of gigs. It's exactly what i needed, in sound and in the quality of build. Great piece of kit for not much money!